mp3 files not playing

I have got a collection of mp3 files which were recorded from Audio Cassettes and converted to mp3. Earlier all these files were playing in Windows Media Player. Recently, after a virus attack, I had to format the HDD and copied those mp3s again to HDD from CD. Now I find that some of the mp3 files are not playing i.e. the seek bar in Windows Media Player is moving and it shows the file as playing but no sound comes. Some other mp3 files are playing. On further looking, I found that mp3 files with 128 bitrate are playing but those below that are not playing.
    As suggested by a friend, I tried to convert those not-playing mp3s to wave format and reconvert it to 128 bitrate mp3s. Here even after converting to wave, the wave format also is not playing.
    Any solution would be appreciated.

Quote: gear
    View Post
    I have got a collection of mp3 files which were recorded from Audio Cassettes and converted to mp3. Earlier all these files were playing in Windows Media Player. Recently, after a virus attack, I had to format the HDD and copied those mp3s again to HDD from CD. Now I find that some of the mp3 files are not playing i.e. the seek bar in Windows Media Player is moving and it shows the file as playing but no sound comes. Some other mp3 files are playing. On further looking, I found that mp3 files with 128 bitrate are playing but those below that are not playing.
    As suggested by a friend, I tried to convert those not-playing mp3s to wave format and reconvert it to 128 bitrate mp3s. Here even after converting to wave, the wave format also is not playing.
    Any solution would be appreciated.
    Have you tryed reinstalling windoes media player?
    Regards,
    Ivan Fegundez. Recording Technician, live sound technician, and mastering technician.

I have formatted the hard disk and reinstalled Windows XP i.e. fresh installation of XP with media player