Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feedback

literally, "within sections", that would be the balance within the different sections (here, likely vocal ranges and parts)
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Yup. "Intra" = "within" as opposed to the balance from one section to the next. A microphone that's too close to, say, the tenors will tend to pick up three of them instead of the whole bunch - and unfortunately, those three are not likely to be Domingo, Carreras and Pavarotti. The same thing will happen with shotgun mics. When you're mixing for the house, this is a problem.

But if we're talking about the monitor mix, and the purpose of the exercise is to enable each section to hear the others, then this kind of "spotlighting" isn't very serious. If it gets you out of the feedback problem, it's legit.

accompaniment

More on the "band playing too loud" problem...

Everybody who learns to play guitar or drums has the dream of being a star. It may be difficult, but it's worth a try to get the band to understand that supporting somebody else is a worthy artistic goal in itself.

For many years, I've had a side business of playing music for silent films. I also accompany singers. I do my best to be creative and make music that is worthwhile in its own right, but the worst mistake I can make is to get so involved with myself that the listener starts paying attention to me instead of the singer or the movie.

I listen to a lot of classical music, and if I were to keep track of how often I hear a piano accompanist who refuses to let the soloist be the soloist, I bet it would exceed 50% of the time. I've been both, and I can tell you that it takes a better, more creative, more perceptive, more attentive musician to accompany than to solo. The task of accompaniment should be presented to the musicians as a challenge which will take all the musicianship they've got to live up to.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, the shotgun mics would be used for the monitor mix I have been exposed to the Aviom system and I know it would greatly improve/reduce my onstage noise thus reducing or eliminate
    my feedback issue. Forgive me guys I am a novice, but I have a strong
    desire to be the best I can be at this, and I Thank each and everyone who has contributed something to helping me get better. The other night we had a rehearsal and I seemed to have a measure of success when I eq'd all three mics identical, is this something that should be done Recognizing frequencies, is there some software or program I could purchase to help me with hearing/learning and recognizing frequencies ?

1. Correct, the shotgun mikes would be for the monitors. Not good to use them for the house mix, if you're amplifying for the house at all.

2. Not familiar with the aviom system, maybe somebody else here knows more. Do audition before you buy.

3. There's no rule that says equal EQ on every mic, but the system response peaks causing feedback are likely to be the same with each mic, assuming the mics are the same, so I wouldn't be surprised if that works out.

4. Recognizing feedback frequencies depends on being able to name pitches. Something close to perfect pitch can be learned, if you have the motivation. Somewhere on this board I posted the frequencies corresponding to the middle-C octave, and how to translate them to frequencies outside the middle-C octave. You have to memorize those. (Or, if your memory is as bad as mine, memorize a few -like A440 - and then calculate from there. Each half step is about 5.6% above or below its neighbor.)

Some sound techs buy an inexpensive audio frequency generator and keep it in the sound booth, patched into an unused channel. You can explore with that.

Thanks again Karl, I had a pretty good service on 6/22 but it was truly a team effort because I relayed to the musicians that they were playing too
    loud and that it was effecting the mix, and when they brought their level down it was easier to control. Looking back now I realize that the biggest
    problem I was dealing with was stage noise/sound way, way too loud. Oh, davbeisner I'm working on my Pastor to purchase the aviom system.

Thanks again Guys!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12