What does "VT inserts" mean

Hi everybody
    i have encountered this phrase"VT inserts" in a document that i have to translate. It is related to advertising, perhaps interviews regarding a certain product, and the transcripts of these interviews. I am in desperate need of help. I can't understand the meaning of this phrase. The entire sentence is "dealership Vox pops VT inserts". Can anybody help or guide me how to seek help.

Blog Entries
    Hello aamira,

This is my opinion because I have not been so involved in technical direction. This was probably something for an editor or by the editor.

Vox would mean vocal, in this case maybe a voice-over.
    VT would have to mean Video Tape.
    So it may mean, as soon as the dealership's voice-over is heard (pops up), the video tape insert is placed there. In other words, use the start of the voice-over as the, "IN" point of the video tape insert.

This would all be part of a technical script for technical cues. I hope someone else can confirm or correct anything I've mentioned but this is my best educated guess. Hope this gives you some insight.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

That seams quite plausible from the context given.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Hi, I'm new but I'd like to help.

Sorry, I'm afraid SC358 you're wrong

As english is not my mother language I'll explain it as clear as possible. Vox pops VT inserts are those pieces of video inside a TV program where we can see someone being interviewed. For example, when you are watching the news and suddenly they cut from a montage with voice over and we see a person of the street giving his opinion in a determined subject. These videos are called Vox Pops.

Which means that 'dealership Vox pops VT inserts' are the vox pops that were shot of a person who was a making a dealership or was talking about something in reference to this.

I hope this can help!

Blog Entries
    Quote: solomanpro
    View Post
    Sorry, I'm afraid SC358 you're wrong
    No problem at all, solomanpro. So then would you say it's more of a script cue rather than a technical cue? Or maybe both?

I'm glad I added my little disclaimer to be confirmed or corrected by anyone. There's always something new to learn
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Hi SC358!

I would say is more a script cue than a technical one as doesn't involve any specifications of how they should be. Ok, when you need Vox pops you know that you maybe will need a microphone and the framing is usually a medium shot, however this depends on the equipment and the camera man. A person answering a question to someone -even inexistent- behind the camera is a vox pop.

I give you an example of a real world situation where you can find it used : You have been making a news package for some television channel, and then the producer asks you to get some Vox pops on the subject. Of course the editor will be the one that put all this pieces together as you can see on TV.

I have edited it to say this: I've just seen that you're writing from NYC, so America. I was wondering if maybe this term is not used there as it is here, maybe you don't use it there. I don't know. I know it is used here in British TV. It can be possible as, for example, the term you use for the footage obtained after shooting is dailies whilst in Uk is rushes. Just a thought!

Cheers
    Last edited by solomanpro; 21st May 2008 at 19:54.