Single camera shooting

For the documentary I'm currently working on I'll be shooting some choir rehearsals. I will have only one camera available. The edited material should generally look as a single long shot with some closeups inserted with continuous soundtrack. The problem is that I can't film the long shot and closeups in the same time. Ofcourse I can film the longshot in the one repetition, and the during second one film the closeups, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the proper synchronisation during edit. Do you have any sugestions that may help me in this task ?

Hi Myszy

You shouldn't have a problem as long as you do an audio feed on the performance at wide angle on your first shoot. Then on the second rehearsal, shoot the closeups and use plenty of cut-ins but only a few seconds at a time. You will find that it's pretty easy to sync the video only cut-ins to the main track and even if the lip sync is just a little bit out, no-one will notice anyway!!! Try quite a few medium shots too and pan them slowly in your editor. Most human brains cannot multi-task too well so if you are panning over a medium shot viewers are unlikely to even notice slight lip sync errors!! Just bear in mind that movies are dubbed from one language to another and viewers don't mind.
    Just keep your shoot creative rather than technical and people will be dazzled by your images and not worry about technicalities!!

Chris

I've to try. I supose that I'm very sensitive to out-of-sync audio, as I notice that news spots are often broadcasted out-of-sync. On other hand it's amazing why ? They are allways shot with live audio. And loosing sync on video isn't easy. Is it a problem of digtal processing? On linear system it's almost impossible...

If you use a non linear edit system like Sony Vegas, you can actually stretch and shorten the audio or video tracks independently so get perfect sync. With Linear Editing, yes, it's virtually impossible!!!

Chris

Another trick you may want to use: record your closeups, pans, and other B-roll as a continuous roll (and if possible, shoot it as if you are always live, maybe with some slow zoom outs to an alternate wide shots zooming back in, a few tight pans, a few medium pans, etc), use the audio from the closeup shot recording as your master audio, then shoot the wide shot, you should have plenty of closeups to fill in and you can offset the wide shot at various points throughout to make sure that both stay in time even if the run throughs take different total times due to variations. Remember, its a lot easier to see lip sync issues on a CU than a WS.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler