Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sony Z1 + Time codes?

Hello everyone,

I was looking for a forum like this, and i finally found you guys!.

I have a little question/problem.

Since a couple of days, im the proud owner of the Sony HVR-Z1 so i instantly shootet some movies and stuff. But now im capturing them in Adobe Premiere CS 3, and its one big movie file.

How do i need to configure the Z1 that Premiere CS3 can see timecodes?

Thank you in advance for your reply!

Marvin

Premiere should be seeing timecode, but having timecode does not mean that it automatically splits your clips, that is up to you to do in the log and capture dialog.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

hmmz. I thought that premiere would automaticly read the timecode and capture the movie :O.

So from what your saying, its best to use the In/Out thingies of the Capture dialog?

Kind regards,

Marvin

Quote: moordziek
    View Post
    hmmz. I thought that premiere would automaticly read the timecode and capture the movie :O.
    What do you mean?

Note: If timecode is confusing at all to you, I suggest you read http://www.mediacollege.com/video/editing/timecode/
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

I think im confused with something :>

I mean that my recorder video will be captured in multiple files. like part 1, part 2.

SOmething like when you press the rec button, it starts recording. When you press it again, it stops. That piece should have something logged that that is 1 piece you filmed. then the next time you press the rec button, it wil make a new piece. When you capture it, you will get it like blabla 01.avi, blabla 02.avi.

I hope you understand my explenation :>

Kind regards,

Marvin

Hi Marvin

I don't use Premiere but I do capture my video with MotionDV Studio and edit on Vegas. Most capture programs will capture raw footage from start to finish as long the the time code on the tape is integral. So, if you stop and start the camera your timecode will normally pick up where it left off and your footage will have continuous code and therefore it will capture the footage in one huge file. When I'm shooting for editing I shoot in "chunks" of convenient length and then STOP the camera and play back the just filmed footage so it goes a bit OVER the last bit I filmed and into blank tape (you can see this cos your on-screen counter will stop running!!) By leaving a "gap" between takes where there is no time code, the capture software then assumes that the capture has ended and creates a file of just that bit of footage that's a much more convenient size. I then proceed to capture the next chunk that has timecode.

Premiere will peobably do this for you too but you have to film differently
    (I do a lot of weddings, so, I will do a chunk with the bride at home, then a chunk of the bride arriving then the ceremony etc etc so I get a unique file for each event)

Chris

Hi there Marvin.

I see you got yourself a few great tools for video work.

There seem to be two parts you are asking, otherwise it's just one or the other. Correct me if I am wrong, you are either asking about
    1. The process of shooting on-location, getting time-code, OR
    2. Digitizing video into your computer on CS3. Your explanation with the
    blabla 01.avi, blabla 02.avi
    is regarding capturing on CS3, I believe.

And the main question is: How is timecode used in these instances?

Let us know which point/s is/are your questions so we can better reply and learn along with you (while trying to explain!)

Cheerio!

There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure if this is what you're trying to do but it sounds like you want to do a "scene detect" where Premiere automatically detects new shots and makes each one a different file. The bad news is that Premiere doesn't support scene detection for HDV files (yet).

Otherwise you should be able to capture separate files manually. The timecode should be captured okay so I'm not quite sure what's going wrong.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thank you guys for all the replies.

I think the awnser of Dave comes closest to my question.

The Scene detection is what im looking for. So i wont get a huge file while capturing the movie. But for each time i recorded a scene it will make a new movie file.

Dave: The timecode should be captured okay so I'm not quite sure what's going wrong.

I have a continuos timecode.This is fine a presume?

@ nagar
    Well, it was kinda of both question. Since it didnt work the first time, i thought maybe i had some configuration wrong on the camera. But now it seems that the problem lays in Adobe Premiere CS3.

@ChrisHarding
    Does this mean you reset you timecode (to 00:00:00) when shooting a new scene? I have read somewhere that filming with continuos timecode was the way to do it.

So just to be clear about the things that have been said here. Adobe Premiere doesnt apply this function for HDV recorder movies. So i will need to put in/out markers in my capture window?

I hope to hear from you guys soon, Thanks for all the replies.

Kind regards,

Marvin

Hi Marvin

I don't reset my timecode I just skip forward a couple of seconds and start recording again. Cos it's a new tape the software "sees" a break!
    However since CS3 has no scene detection ability, your only method is to set in and out capture point to get manageable files or use Vegas 8 or similar.

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast