Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

ground loop

Well thats interesting to think about and nice to know my problems start with the electricians short cuts. But the only problem I have is that I play at different venues and I don't have any control over the electric work of the building. I guess my question is is there any way to fix this problem with some sort of noise reducer or anything I can put either between my computer and the outlet or the other items I'm powering. The problem only occours when my laptop and scratch amp are pluged in at the same time. My laptop is plugged to the scratch amp via firewire and I think the fact that these items are connected together with seprate power sources is causeing the feedback. if anyone has any ideas let me know.

j

ground loop

Well thats interesting to think about and nice to know my problems start with the electricians short cuts. But the only problem I have is that I play at different venues and I don't have any control over the electric work of the building. I guess my question is is there any way to fix this problem with some sort of noise reducer or anything I can put either between my computer and the outlet or the other items I'm powering. The problem only occours when my laptop and scratch amp are pluged in at the same time. My laptop is plugged to the scratch amp via firewire and I think the fact that these items are connected together with seprate power sources is causeing the feedback. if anyone has any ideas let me know.

j

Power Conditioner

Try searching the internet for a "audio power conditioner". You plug one cord into to the wall and plug your audio equipment and computer into the device. The conditioner has a built-in transformer and circuity to assure everything is in phase and grounded correctly. Many of them are maid for high-end home stereos but the principle is the same. They also assure that the electric current you are getting is at a perfect 60Hz. Most ground loop isolators are just passive devices and cannot fix the issue, it'll just try to mask it. This way every thing's powered cleanly. You can read about one at http://www.stereophile.com/powerlineaccessories/499api/ it should give you a general idea. Hope this helps.

power conditioner

Hi thanks for your reply texan, I was loking at the site you posted and this looks like something that could work. I don't need anything to elaborate just something to stop feedback from my audio equipment. Do you think something like this would solve my problem? http://www.wwbw.com/Furman-PST8-AC-P...-i159757.music

I don't want to buy something thats not going to help or just help a little. I don't know how much u know about this stuff but maybe you can help.

Thanks

It should work

I cannot be compltely sure because I don't know all the variables such as what types of wires and cables you use. Assuming it's not a signal issue and you have already installed ground loop isolaters (which will work in unison with a conditioner). Also does any USB cables you are using have a farite EMI ruducer. It will be incased in a round plastic casing about an inch or two long around some point in the cable, usally near on end . I wouldn't worry too much about this on because it seem like you don't have the problem when your laptop isn't pluged into the wall. It could also be possible interference from the laptop charger, if you have a different charger try using it. If you don't I wouldn't worry too much about it cause it would be a unlikely source. Also the product in the link you sent me looks like it's just an over golified surge suppesor. (Pardon my spelling as this computer does not have spell checker in ie) I like this on I found. It's a little more money ($200) but I would trust it more than the other one. Look for one that includes linear circuitry design. Like I stated before this is no way to be 100% on this (i can't be an armchair electric engineer). Even if this didn't 100% fix your current issue it would still be a good idea to own one of these because something as samll as a power outage durning an event could "fry" a piece of audio equipment. Long winded, I know, but I hope this address some of your questions.

Experence

ps
    I have spent several years in the car audio feild as a tech/installer and am an audiophile.

Texan

I was looking around and stumbled apon this, do you think this will help me. Is this anything like the furman link you sent me? will it do the trick
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=016
    I don't know anything about this stuff so please bear with me.
    http://www.bomara.com/powervar/conditioner_gg_b_na.htm
    Last edited by IkoN; 6th Dec 2007 at 23:17. Reason: add

Maybe

I haven't been able to get too much other than raw numbers on this one. The raw numbers on this looks ok. I just can't find out much about what really makes this on tick. Also on ebay I found this one that is $29 and looks like it would work, its more money at $29 but at least I was able to get more on the inner workings on it. Also what equipment are you running and is everything standalone or is some of it rack mounted? I apologize for this question if you already stated this in earlier posts but I haven't had much time to read over them.

Info

Well I can give you the quick rundown on my equipment. I didn't know how far I would get on this forum but you have been a big help so far. I don't know if you know a lot about dj setups but nothing to technical. This is how the final scratch hooks up with RCAs and fire wire between laptop and hardware. I don't have a rack mount system, I have a studio like setup in my basement. everything needs to be powered. I don't know whats relevant to the potential ground loop. anyway, money is not too much of a problem but i don't want to spend anymore than needed. The link to the item you sent me doesn't have Linear Filter Technology (LiFT). You had mentioned I would want to have that. Once again I don't know much about whats happening I just want to fix it. If you need anymore info let me know I don't want to overwhelm you with wire diagrams.

FireWire cable

Have you tried changing out your firewire cable. It could be that the firewire cable isnt adquetly sheilded. Ignore this if you've already done this. The difference between a cheap and more expensive cable is the sheilding. If it's a cheap cable you could be picking up EMI from the notebook charger. I used to work at a computer and audio componet store and have witnessed first hand what infereior cables can wreak on a setup such as yours. I do know a litle about DJ and scratch systems. Good catch on the LiFT fetaure. Also it could be one of the RCA or phono cables, any one of those could be your problems. When you have everything pluged in and playing, try moving some of the cables around (changing the distence between the all the wires). If the pulsing changes in pitch, volume, or speed it could just be EMI (electro-magnetic interference). If nothing changes then it's most likely ground loop and you'll need a conditioner.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast