Advice with external hard drives

Hi,
    could anyone advice me whitch one is the best to buy of these external hard drives to be used with Mac pro for video editing?
    * FreeAgentPro or * Maxtor One Touch 4Plus

Blog Entries
    Hello Kahlid,
    The software bundle that comes with both adds to the cost however it is useless, since they're Windows only programs. So just looking at the integrity of the product, at least both offer a 5 year warranty. Between the two, it's really a toss up because both are very good hard drives. Whenever I am faced with this kind of decision, sometimes the vendor or the price is the deciding factor.

What were you planning for? Will it be used for storage of the audio/video editing assets or for back up? Is there something specific that you want to do that you are worried about?
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Hey SC358,

You can get a 5 year warranty? I've only a 3 year warranty from the Maxtor I got and it goes the same for the Apple products..

Any updates, Khalid?
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Blog Entries
    Hmmm... I guess I should have put a disclaimer, Nager. The 5 year warranty is based maybe on purchase in US. Not only that, when I did a quick research, both websites (in US) stated 5 years for the drives mentioned by Khalid.

Apple products, I haven't checked into, even though I bought my Macbook Pro a few weeks ago (I purchased the extra coverage). Their warranties I guess vary on each product.

To all concerned: In regards to the hard drives, check with your seller as to the warranty coverage. It may be different, region to region
    Last edited by SC358; 14th Jun 2008 at 13:24. Reason: Misspelling
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

With Applecare, you get a total of 3 years.
    Loong . Singapore

What exactly will you be using it for? Capture, audio, or a scratch disk?
    I suggest a LaCie firewire800 drive.

I suggest a LaCie firewire800 drive.
    Agree on the Firewire800. It's a breeze to use, provided you are not using a firewire at the same time (because I am not sure if the firewire400 is on the same card as the 800 on the Macpro, so it will be wiser to use a firewire during digitizing and using a USB to transfer data out if you are saving the capture onto the HDD. This is definitely true for the Macbook Pros). I currently use a Maxtor onetouch III Turbo Edition (Firewire 800, 400, USB) and it's great.

Hi SC358, I have just found out that I am allowed to add another 2 years of Applecare on top of the first Applecare that kicks into effect after the first year of service.

So:
    1 yr warranty (w/purchase) + Applecare (2 yr, must purchase) + Applecare (2 yr, must purchase) = 5 yrs

Now I understand what you mean.
    Last edited by nagar; 27th Jun 2008 at 16:43. Reason: Additions
    Loong . Singapore