how to set output resolution of wmv video file

Hi
    I am generally using wmv video format for streaming video from my site as I have swish video 3 which does the flash conversion but to be honest the flash file is not as good a quality as the wmv if I am streaming at lets say 512 kbs at 320/240 so I am always going back to old wmv.

I have used a few softwares to edit and output video but I want to know how to render the finished article at various resolution sizes other than 640/480 or 320/240. These two seem mandatory and I have never seen an option that says I can have the resolution at 500/400 which is the size I am looking for or there abouts anyway.

Can anyone let me know if I am doing something wrong or missing something when outputting the file as my software gives me many options of output but not with regards to resolution size.

I would also be happy to go the flash route but only if I can find a software that delivers quality at 512kbs and does not pixelate or the film keep stopping.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

Engineer/Producer
    It would be helpful to know what you've used in the past.

I've used the free Windows Media Encoder, available from Microsoft's website, but it's been a long time and I don't remember if it allows you to change resolution, though I do know that you can set bitrate and quality to whatever you'd like.

You'll never get 500x400 because you have to maintain the 4:3 aspect ratio which it sounds like you originally used (640x480 and 320x240 are both 4:3). The only way to get 500x400 would be to use the letterbox format commonly used in taking a 4:3 aspect ratio and changing it to 16:9. A good NLE should be able to do that for you, though I'm not sure you can set it at 500x400... you may be stuck with either 4:3 or 16:9.

I've used Adobe Premiere CS3 at home and I know that it allows me to render my file to any of a multitude of formats for online distribution, including Real, WMV, QuickTime, and Flash. I know Premiere CS3's encoders allow you full manual control over resolution, bitrate, quality, etc. One thing you might try to get higher quality with lower file sizes is to adjust your encoder for VBR (variable bit rate) instead of CBR (constant bit rate). Your encoder will understand what has to be encoded at high rates and do so and conversly, it understands what portions can get by with a lower encoding rate and it will encode accordingly.

I'm going to be using Final Cut Studio 2.0 at my office in the near future and I'm looking forward to seeing what options they have for Flash encoding.

Also, typical Flash encoding is done with the Sorenson standard encoder, rather than the Sorenson Professional encoder. If it's vital that you have a really high-quality flash file, you may need to purchase Sorenson Squeeze, the only (to my knowledge) program that permits you to encode using the professional grade encoder.

Hope this helps!

Hi Peter
    I use both Flash and WMV files depending on my client's requirements.
    Flash is probably a wee bit sharper.
    Take a look at standard FLV on my site below and form your own opinion
    http://www.softweigh.com/biz/

This is standard video encoded as an MPEG2 file (I use Sony Vegas) and then converted to 512kbs FLV using Flix Pro 8. I use, of course, one of Dave's players and I think the result is pretty acceptable for web video!
    With Dave's player you can also set the Buffer Time to make sure the video plays smoothly. (Check out his Media Players on the main page of the forum!! I still use the Classic because it handles multiple videos)

For my WMV files I just render them in Sony Vegas as 640x480 at 512K and I have never had a complaint there either.

I never had any success with Windows Media Encoder!!!!

Hope this helps

Chris

Thanks

Hi Dave Hi Chris

Thanks for the feedback.
    Ive looked at sorenson squeeze before as I was told that was the best way to compress flash files to make them smaller but still keep the quality. The reason I did not do anything about is that I tried other compression software and when I imported my swish video 3 flash files into it the software said that the file was already compressed to the max. I presumed that it would be the same with Sorenson?.

I have just downloaded the demo of Flix pro 8 but to be honest Chris its a bit rich for me at 300 as I only play at this for personal use.

I have read through some of the other threads and some guys are plugging various software and I looked at streamingFLV but the example vids I thought were no better than my swish ones. I could really do with a software around 100 thats easy and simple that can export my video files and give me quality.

I cam accross this www.easywebvideo.com/ which shows a flash video being played and the quality is great and it did not need anytime to load. I am jubious because there is no trial so I am cynical, but I could do with results like that. Can anyone comment or give me a few names of software that can do this for around that budget.

Thanks

Peter

Hi Peter

You don't need Flix Pro ..just get Flix standard it's WAY cheaper!!! I must admit that I tried Swish Video and the quality was awful!!

Flix Standard is only $39 and will do the job nicely AND the files will run perfectly in Dave's players too!!! The only difference is features that you will probably not use and it does single pass encoding (the Pro does 2 pass but I can't tell the difference as long as your clips are good quality)

Once you have that use Dave's player and you will have classy video up in no time at all.

Chris