Engineer/Producer

Opinions on Sony PMW-EX1 vs. Panasonic AG-HVX200A

I'm looking at these two cameras and I'd like some constructive criticism of both. What are the pros/cons of each?

Just a quick one, and this comes as a user of Sony cameras. Also I will not go into technical specifications because you'll be able to find that anywhere on the web. I'll write as a possible user who's considering the cameras with just 2 points.

Physical build and output quality
    - Being semi-pro cams, both cameras are well built and capable of substantial punishment.
    - They are about the same weight, 5.5lb or 2.5kg or so. This sounds light enough, but remember they are both handhelds and it is quite a bit to bear with at times. The Sony allows changeable lenses, but I guess that has to be tripod mounted. Do you need such capability? Price of lenses may not be an issue as you can always rent, if lens rental is available where you are.
    - Sonys tend to give a cleaner, cool look while Panasonic gives a warmer feel, more film-like.

Support
    This is the point.
    - Ask both distributors/representatives of your area the duration of support they will have for their peculiar systems (ie the Panasonic P2 cards and the Sony SxS PRO memory cards). You are likely going to get a promising answer from one and not the other... you get my drift? Spend thousands and get no promise that your systems will be supported at least 5 - 10 years down the road?

You might want to state other concerns if any. I might not be able to answer them, but some of the others might. Have a good day.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Sony

The Sony does not allow changeable lenses

Oops, my apologies... I'm getting mixed up with the Z7Uand S270U! Was shooting off the roof of my teeny weeny head...
    Last edited by nagar; 18th Jun 2008 at 16:29. Reason: some html text appeared!
    Loong . Singapore

If you're doing event work (like weddings and such) and feel you need to sell your equipment to the customer, the Sony (IMO) has a more professional look. The flip-out LCD in the same place as consumer camcorders of similar size on the Panasonic makes it seem consumery. If you aren't, just go by the specs and see which can do what you need. Don't forget about acquisition for editing!
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

I agree that the Sony does have a pro look. But I don't agree with the LCD portion, for the fact that most of the pro-sumer lines still have their LCDs on the same position. They don't look less pro. The customers or potential ones are just looking at the size of the monster, really, unless they dabble into this field!
    Loong . Singapore

Quote: nagar
    View Post
    I agree that the Sony does have a pro look. But I don't agree with the LCD portion, for the fact that most of the pro-sumer lines still have their LCDs on the same position. They don't look less pro. The customers or potential ones are just looking at the size of the monster, really, unless they dabble into this field!
    Sorry about that, I was looking at the image of an earlier model, just a note: all of the pro lines that I've seen have the LCD shifted forwarded at least a little bit as an LCD hanging out to the edge doesn't provide a good locking mechanism for a professional environment.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Yup, I get the 'little bit forward' part.
    Loong . Singapore