Blog Entries

Off Topic:Present/Immediate Future

So here's something to start a bit of discussion on this thread.

Situation: Your laid-off, with a semi-descent severance pay. Your only responsibility is to your spouse (who's not working but is now looking), monthly bills, a paid 10yr old car in good shape, and very low rent. In addition, your financial reserve was created for a situation like this and can hold you for approx 5 months. Summer is just about to start.

Question: What would you want to do? What do you think you should do?

Hint: There is no right or wrong answer.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

I'd start looking for jobs in a field that interested me, look for a job that you really want (if there is one), try your hardest to get it, but also keep looking for similar jobs (or others that you would accept) and maybe do a bit of traveling (ok, we probably just cut the reserve down to 2 weeks with gas prices as they are, but it's a break for a change, right?). Don't rush and just take any job, but take one that suits you (id est don't work at the corner grocer when you can work for a nonprofit that you love and get the same pay). If you do a bit of networking, you may find a place that you would love to work that doesn't have immediate openings but would be happy to have you working there in 3 - 4 months.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Blog Entries
    Interesting topic

If you've got some time you could look at building a bit of a passive income. That's pretty much what I did with my website projects but there are plenty of other options.

Building a collection of stock footage is an idea I like. It's fairly easy to set up an account at somewhere like iStockPhoto.com (they do video too). Publish a few nice shots and see what happens. I think local stock footage can be a good market - I've sold a few shots from my area in the past.

While I'm on the topic, here's an idea I think is worth considering: 3D video footage. IMO 3D video is going to be big, it's just waiting for the right time and technologies. Take advantage of the wait and build a portfolio of stock footage in 3D. Of course you'll need a stereo video camera setup but you don't need to worry about processing or delivery - you'll only need the stereo pair footage straight off the camera(s). Once 3D video takes off, you'll have a huge head start on all the other providers, and maybe even some priceless 3D footage of subjects that are no longer available.

Anyway, there are probably heaps of possibilities I haven't thought of. Let's hear some others.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    Quote: Dave
    View Post
    3D video footage. IMO 3D video is going to be big, it's just waiting for the right time and technologies. Take advantage of the wait and build a portfolio of stock footage in 3D. Of course you'll need a stereo video camera setup but you don't need to worry about processing or delivery - you'll only need the stereo pair footage straight off the camera(s). Once 3D video takes off, you'll have a huge head start on all the other providers, and maybe even some priceless 3D footage of subjects that are no longer available.

Anyway, there are probably heaps of possibilities I haven't thought of. Let's hear some others.
    I agree that 3D will be TNBT. Positioning yourself, for such situations really does take vision (no pun intended ). I never really thought about getting involved in stock houses because I wasn't too sure how well it would actually pay off. But now that I have a camera I can have fun with, it may be well worth some effort since the pixs sit around and do nothing anyway.

I'm surprise that I didn't get a better response for this thread. C'mon people, I want to hear your dreams... or the path to make a dream of your's come alive... or another path if you also have regrets of your current situation.

Life grows and we change, but change cannot happen without growth.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Hi SC358,
    Dave's idea of positioning yourself, for the next big wave is a great concept and you get a great , for that Dave.
    and if I had a 2nd chance to do anything, I would improve my communication skills,
    I have just finished film school, Producer and Production Management and I have this concept that is cross platform from game show > 2 feature film and ends up with a online game,
    because my communication skills is not up to par, I am not getting the results that would, please me, the producers on both the Film Victoria and Australian Film Commission, are just not interested.
    I reframe my question, ask the same question in a different way hoping I would get a different response, still in square one.
    Having said that I take courage in the fact that Lord of the Rings did the Hollywood circuit 2 before they got funding.
    From your post I gather you are others or external oriented
    just an observation
    Executive Producer,
    Start Up Evangelist