Again on Players

I've decided that the best method of putting videos into a easy to use and comfortable format, for the less techie-minded to handle, is a video player with a playlist. Someone recommended using Director, which is just rather too technical for me and is rather expensive.
    I looked through the shareware available on Downloads.com, but found it hard to pick the right one. I've downloaded a few, but I found it all rather confusing. Has anyone have any suggestions regarding this? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    The link below is an experimental project I made which uses a playlist - the idea was to make it easy for non-technical people and do away with the hassles of multiple formats. Is this what you're trying to do?
    http://www.teawamutu.co.nz/tv

If so, this uses Flash. It's cheaper and easier than Director, but I still wouldn't really call it cheap or easy

To be honest I really doubt whether there is a cheap or easy way to do this sort of thing.

However, I have been toying with the idea of making a generic player like the one in the link above, which anyone could download and use with their own video clips. Do you think you'd use something like this if it was available?

The only problem would be that it needs Flash video files to work (it won't play other formats). To convert your video clips to Flash you'd need to purchase a Sorenson encoder (around $US100), or pay someone (like us) us to do it for you.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

‘However, I have been toying with the idea of making a generic player like the one in the link above, which anyone could download and use with their own video clips. Do you think you'd use something like this if it was available?’ Yes please!!!!!

Let me just say this - if someone developed a shareware video player with playlist that is non-technical and easy for a layperson to understand, for a reasonable sum, it would really take off.
    Why do I say this? As a Journalist and Broadcaster I have been involved with the Internet and its predecessors since the 1980's, before there was a World Wide Web. I had a column in the UK magazine .net for three years, have contributed to various other similar publications. I also presented a program on Sky TV called ‘Download’ for three seasons and have been a frequent guest on BBC Radio programs about the Net. My popularity was due to my writing and talking about the Net, in a completely non-technical and down to earth manner, which even the simplest minded person could understand.
    Now with digital camcorders and home computers and all the necessary addins and addons, people are producing there own video CDs at home. The biggest problem for them is trying to find an easy to understand player and playlist vehicle – but there isn’t one!
    I do very little print these days due illness in the family, which makes it difficult for me to keep to deadlines. However, I have produced 40 chapters containing 300 QuickTime movies on two CDs covering the Net from A-Z, in a friendly, informative and amusing manner.
    I have just published my first website – I know nothing about HTML and never had any desire to learn, but Front Page made it easy. The website is still under construction, but I am going to get a ‘professional’ to redo the Home Page. If you would like to take a look its
    http://www.internetforall.co.uk
    I am sorry this is so long-winded, but I have a lot to say

Blog Entries
    Thanks Rosie for sharing this. It's great to hear about your experiences and plans.

Thanks also for your feedback about the player. I think I will pursue the idea. Unfortunately it will be quite a while before I can have anything ready, if indeed I do go ahead with it.

I should point out that there are still some limitations with the Flash format (especially when it comes to video), but no show-stoppers. I'm optimistic Flash will continue to develop as a platform and get more video-friendly.

I had a look at your site and it's looking good. You've obviously put some time and effort into it and I hope it pays off for you. I see you're using Flash files for your demos - they worked very well when I tried them. Do you mind telling us what you used to create/convert them to Flash files? Something like RoboDemo or Captivate? I've been experimenting with Captivate myself and I'll probably buy it.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I do hope you'll have time to do the player - I'll keep my fingers crossed!Glad you like my little website. You're the first person I 'invited' to
    visit it:-) as I feel rather sheepish about it.
    I converted the .mov videos to Flash with a shareware program called Swish at www.swishzone.com, so easy to use - ideal for non-techies like me.
    Thank you for being so responsive. By the way if you do produce that player - I'll get in touch with my publishing contacts to help speed it on its way.

All the best

Blog Entries
    Of course, you'd already told me about using Swish in another thread. Honestly, I was paying attention - just a brain hiccup

I'm quite impressed with the results. I think you're onto a good thing there. And don't be sheepish about the site. Although I think it will help to have a professional give it a spruce-up, the main thing is the concept/content which looks good.

Thanks for your offer of help, I'll remember that
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com