Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    thanks....looked at that site, it is very useful, I like how they compare cameras.

as far as stores go, I am very wary of where I look, ebay is trustowrthy, but it isn't very reliable by means of if they're gonna have the camera I want,
    any you guys got a suggestion on a good store online that is either in australia, or sells to australia?, I'm looking for one with good prices.

the camera I have decided to get is the XL1(S), but if I find a cheap enough XL2, i'll get it. I know it may seem a little strange getting such a good camera at my level, but I will be using it heaps. anyways I've probably already asked you what store to get it from....but I need a good reliable store, prefferably one, you have had experience with.

sorry for asking so many questions.....
    thanks guys, you've all really helped!

Most sites only sell new ones!!
    I got my new MD10000's from einfotech.com.au and they were $200 cheaper than the new ones on eBay.
    The XL1 and XL1S are not made anymore so you will have to find a used one (on eBay they are around the $2000-$2500 mark) The site mentioned has XL2's new for just over $3000.
    Just bear in mind that the XL1 series are SD and 4:3 aspect only (although they can produce a "false" widescreen image).
    They also have no LCD monitor, just a viewfinder. I passed on the XL series cos, although the lenses are great, the camera is just plain awkward to use!! It's not a hand held and it's not a shoulder mount..you sorta have to use it like a rifle with the back held into your shoulder rather than on it!! However, those were my reasons but it's still a surperb machine!! If you buy a used one, take it for a test run as the prism's can go faulty and cost more than the cam to repair!! Usually shows up as a green cast on your footage on the XL1. If it comes with the XLR adapter it's even better as they cost around $800 so one with an adapter will sweeten the deal!!

Glad you have decided on your camera..now you have to find one!!!

Chris

Just bear in mind that the XL1 series are SD and 4:3 aspect only (although they can produce a "false" widescreen image).
    Important pointer there. Future proof indicator: Ember. But I think it will not turn obsolete anytime yet. Apologies that I cannot provide a possible website. You can try Expandore. They ship from Singapore, I think, and has okay reviews, so far. But as you (and even Chris) say, I would prefer to get mine from a local reseller instead.

Chris, I've assisted a production using the XL1. The viewfinder has an option for near/far view. Although it is not as big as an LCD screen, I find it's alright. I do agree that it's a very awkward camera, and yes, an XLR adapter is choice!
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Hi Nagar
    Both my new cams be bought from local distributors BUT they still came from Hong Kong!!! There are unfortunately not a lot of camera distributors in Australia that actually hold stock. That's the way it is nowdays!!! But it is easier to communicate and deal with someone local even if your product is shipped from overseas.
    I think that as long as you buy a big four cam (Panasonic, Sony, JVC, Canon) then it's much like buying a car!! Test drive it and look at the features that you want!! They will all have much the same specs (like cars!!) but you choose what you will find useful for your application. I do like the XL series as they have omitted all the "consumer" stuff (like still pics and special FX) and my buddy also has one. If any of the above companies produced rubbish, they wouldn't be around!!! So it's really your personal choice (again like cars!!!!) People would go a LONG way to read your quote at the end of every one of your posts!! Fancy specs and features will not make you a good cameraman!!!

Chris

awesome....
    I might just consider either the HV30 or the XL2, just been looking at some footage of both, and while the XL2 is awesome, the HV30 is a more affordable option....and it seems to have great quality!

I suppose I'll have to just wait and save, because hopefully, some newer models will come out and push the prices lower.

thanks so far.

ok guys, after thinking it over and comparing cameras, I've decided to buy the HV30, the great thing is I'll have $300 extra to spend on stuff, so I am thinking of maybe getting an external mic, or lens.
    anything worth around 300 that would be good for the camera?
    as far as mics go I don't know what to get.
    thanks again.

You can't go far wrong with a Rode VideoMic
    They are usually $199 but I have seen them often for $149 online!! Australian made and excellent quality!!!

Because the HV30 is so tiny you may also need a still camera flash bracket so the mic is not so close to the camera

Chris

yeah, checked them out, but I think I might get two (the stereo mic as well as the videomic).....

Rode have allot of good stuff, thanks for telling me.

anyone got an idea, of how to maybe get experience that will help me when i get my video camera, because I will be waiting six months

any idea on preperation?

Start trying out an editing program first? Otherwise use your mobile phone/digital camera and start taking low quality videos. Try putting them together on the editing program.

I think that's good practice.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123