DVX 100B versus Sony DSR-PD170

I would like to hear from someone who really knows those two models in and out. since I'm currently doing my homework and planing to buy one of those guys. Purpose of the camera is documentary as well as video gigs. (weddings, bar mitzvahs.,etc)

I have never really used the PD-170, I used the little brother of the PD-150 (the VX-2000) and I have used the DVX-100. Personally, I feel the DVX isn't balanced too well for hand-holding. If you can, I'd suggest finding one of each to try out (even if on a tripod) to get a feel for them and their features.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Hmm... I've worked with the PD170, but not the DVX100. However there's a DVX102 in my office now. If you think there'll be similar notes to take, let me know and I'll run through some points.

Just a side note: both cameras have good track records for performance, though just looking at a 102 (similar to all the 100-102-200 series in build) and now holding one gives me the same sentiments as tonsofpcs. Despite that, most freelance cameramen (pro), including the local (and not forgetting ONLY) broadcast station uses the Panny. They give nice colors.

Both are discontinued models (production wise) but still on sale in the market and support is still available. Yup that's some quick thoughts.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Yes! That's what bothers me as well the fact that holding camera in my hand will not allow me to find right balance. Friend of mine suggested to stick to shoulder-mount camera type such as Sony DSR-250. I've looked at this camera it is in the reasonble price range. I also woud like to hear about this camera in more detailes. Thanks.

It's purely a question of whether you are happy with a big camera or a little one and which manufacturer you prefer!!
    I personally battled for a year with trying to come to grips with smaller cams and gave up and went back to shoulder mount cameras!! They are just more stable and feel more comfortable BUT you cannot exactly slip them into your pocket when you go out!!
    I'm not too sure when Sony added true 16:9 to the shoulder mounts so you might have to check..the 250 may be widescreen but the 200 is definately only 4:3.
    The HD1000 is actually great value for money too!! You shoot in HD and can capture in either HD or SD. A lot less expensive than the DSR-250 and it's a current model too!! Here they are a tad over $2000 (about half the price of a DSR 250/300)
    Depends what you are planning on doing too!!! I just mainly do weddings and promo stuff so it's more beneficial for me to have 2 x Panny MD10000's rather than one more costly camera. The 2 cam shoots allow me more creativity.

For events BTW: two cameras are absolutely essential!! You really need to have one doing the basic wide shot and capturing the overall event and then a "b roll" camera for the cut-ins and cutaways that will make your video more professional than the one's all the relatives are shooting with their own camcorders.

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisHarding; 5th Jul 2008 at 00:12.

If I recall, the 250 does 16:9 letterboxed, not anamorphic
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

DVX100a

I've used both types of cameras handheld and shoulder mount and I've found for Wedding and Event videography it's much better to use a smaller handheld camera (such as the DVX or my current fave, the HVX200).

Shoulder mounted cameras are for ENG work. They are great for running into a location, standing in the same spot for hours on end and then leaving. They're great when you realize you should have brought the sticks but it's OK because you have a shoulder mount and you can't go back to the truck now anyway.

It's MUCH easier to get in and out of small places to get that perfect shot. Bigger cameras are noticed more and when you're shooting a wedding the last thing you want is to distract from the bride and groom.

Besides, when shooting weddings/events, you'll put that badboy on a tripod during the actual event and be done with it. At the wedding reception or party, you should be going hand held or steadicam anyway.

Cheers!

One more thing, if it really bothers you, you could always buy a cheap shoulder mount after the fact.