Blog Entries

Moving the support forums

Firstly I want to mention that MC Altair v0.6 should be released some time this week. It includes rtmp (streaming) support plus a few minor additions and fixes. I'll post another announcement when I've released it.

In the meantime I want to talk about splitting the media player support forums away from the mediacollege forums and moving them to the mcmediaplayer.com website. I know this isn't ideal for those who participate in both forums, but to be honest there's not many people that fall into this category. More often I find that new users get confused about which forum to post in, and the fact that the support forum is on a different website doesn't help.

I really need to make the whole thing very easy for new visitors. Now that a lot of people are finding the player via the new website, it can be confusing for them having to go to a different site (mediacollege.com) to get support.

In addition, it's becoming more of a hassle for me personally to keep the two sites operating in tandem. I just think it makes more sense to make these two sites completely separate, although I'll obviously encourage people to come here for all the general video-making resources.

As far as registration goes, I'll attempt to transfer all existing login details and archived messages to the new site. From then on, any new forum registrations will only apply to the respective websites. This means new users will have to register twice if they want to participate in both forums. Hopefully I'll be able to make that process easier in future, but for now I don't think many people will be affected.

If anyone has any serious objections, or if you can think of anything I might have overlooked, please let me know ASAP. Thanks.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Quote: Dave
    View Post
    Firstly I want to mention that MC Altair v0.6 should be released some time this week.
    Congratulations, I'm sure you put a lot of hard work into this.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Lightbulb

Quote: Dave
    View Post
    If anyone has any serious objections, or if you can think of anything I might have overlooked, please let me know ASAP. Thanks.
    Not an objection, but a suggestion

Maybe you can install another instance of the forum software on the other page, link it to the same database, and have the default view include only the MC forums expanded and the others collapsed, then here have the MC forums collapsed and the others expanded in the default view, that way there is a seamless experience for those who concentrate on the forums and post on both but for the end-users that are focusing on one or the other, they see the UI that they are familiar with and are greeted with the relevant forums.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Blog Entries
    Thanks Eric, that's a good suggestion. Unfortunately there are a number of problems, such as the way the vBulletin layout is integrated into the database. According to the vB staff, having separate skins to this extent can't be done without hacking the core code, which is something I'd prefer to avoid. In addition, there are issues like the cookies (won't work across domains), profile and blog templates (won't know which style to adopt) and lots more. I spent ages yesterday walking through the system identifying issues and there are heaps of them.

Another option I previously considered was just using the same "user" table in the database for both forums, i.e. only share registration info, nothing else. This still requires code mods and has problems, but it's not out of the question.

Yet another solution would be an option to automatically add a user to both databases on registration. Technically the forums would be completely separate but they could work together nicely. This also requires some code mods but I think it would be simpler and safer (easy to back out of later if necessary). It's also nice to give the user the choice of which forums to register in.

Anyway, it really would be nice to keep the seamless experience as you describe so I've decided not to give up just yet. I'll give it some more thought and I'm happy to have more discussion about it. Perhaps if I could get the existing forums to integrate better it would be less confusing.

Did you notice the MC Media Player logo above? Does it look like an obvious link back to mcmediaplayer.com?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com