Help with 8mm taping skipping

I know its likely the camcorder that after I taped my sons baseball game and I replay it on TV its very jumpy and skippy. Can you replay the 8mm tape thru another type of unit vs the camcorder? Can the tape be repaired/cleaned possibly without ruining the baseball game if thats the problem.

It's more than likely that the capstan rubber has become old and hard so the tape speed is not controlled anymore.
    If the tape speed was varying when you were recording then it's going to give the same problem on any camcorder!!
    However we would have to know first of all, if your camcorder is an 8mm analogue unit or if it's what they used to call Digi8 ??? The model number of the camera would help here, then we can tell you what sort of camera can replay it. You used to be able to get 8mm cassette decks at one stage (only analogue) but not many people had them!!
    Let's start with the camcorder make/model number that recorded the footage first!

Chris

If the camera says [8] or Video [8] on it, you can play it in a "Video 8 system camcorder" (commonly called 8mm) or some HI[8] or some Digital8 camcorders/decks. If it says Hi[8], you can play it in a Hi[8] camcorder/deck or some Digital8 camcorders/decks. If it says Digital8, then you can only play it on a Digital8 camcorder/deck. (note that there are some exceptions to these, but that's the base logic).

Do note that depending what the issue is with the camera/tape, you may get best playback from the camera it was recorded with. If you could describe what you are seeing/hearing in more detail, we may be able to help diagnose the issue so that you have the best chance of recovering the footage and the least chance of damaging other equipment and/or the tape.
    Last edited by tonsofpcs; 1st Jul 2008 at 21:03. Reason: more info about issue
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

I have a Sony DCR-TRV320, Digital 8. The picture is there its just skipping, the sound is skipping also

Hi
    Ok that's fine. To use another machine to play it you will have to find someone that has a Digital8 camcorder. If the tape still skips ahead in another machine then that means that the tape was slipping during recording and there is nothing you can do about it.
    It find be worthwhile finding a business that does "video to DVD" transfers as they should have machines for most formats...if it skips on their machine then you have lost!! If it plays OK then the best bet is to ask them to transfer the file onto a DVD and you can take it from there.

If both sound and vision are skipping then it's definately a drive problem.

Chris