Dreamweaver MX2004 - Help re. Web-page sizes

Greetings,
    I have designed a website using Dreamweaver MX2004 on my Apple iMac (screen resolution 1024 x 768). The pages appear perfectly on my computer (both in Dreamweaver and in Safari) - but on other computers they only take up 3/4 of the screen width. I think the problem might my resolution setting (although other websites - that appear perfectly on other computers - also appear correctly in terms of width on mine; i.e. I don't have to scroll sideways to get the full width of the page).

How do I make the pages appear full-width on any computer, whatever their resolution.

Thanks for your assistance.

Web-page sizes

I suppose it would help you to see the problem if I direct you to the website concerned.

The website URL is www.people4success.co.nz.

Blog Entries
    Hi and welcome. You have just encountered one of the great difficulties of web design. There's no easy answer - designing for different screen resolutions is a big topic that designers often argue about.

Basically it's an issue of "fixed-width" versus "fluid width". When you design a web page you need to decide which method to use.
    (1) Fixed width means that your web page is always the same number of pixels wide and the layout is consistent, sort of like print layout.
    (2) Fluid width means the page automatically resizes depending on the end user's browser resolution.

You can also a hybrid method like we do here at MediaCollege.com, in which you specify a fluid width anywhere between two specified values (in our case we allow up to 1000 pixels wide and then make it fixed).

Your site uses a fixed width layout so the content never changes width. If the user's browser is wider than your content they will see empty space. If their resolution is lower they will need to scroll sideways.

If you want a fluid width, you should first be aware that it's not all good. In particular, your layout may change in unexpected ways as the page widens. It can take a fair bit of work to get it right.

As for how to make the page fluid width, that's a tricky one and brings us to the issue of WYSIWYG editing vs HTML editing. To have full control over your page content you really need to get under the hood and edit the HTML code directly. You also need to understand CSS (cascading style sheets). If that sounds like too much effort you should still be able to do it in Dreamweaver's WYSIWYG mode but I'm afraid I don't know how since I use HTML for this type of thing. I had a quick look in the help files but couldn't see anything obvious.

I guess the real question is whether or not you are comfortable editing the HTML directly. If so I can suggest some possibilities. If not, you might have to search for help on using Dreamweaver for fluid width pages.

Alternatively, I know a guy in your town who could give you some lessons for a fee
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Quote: Dave
    View Post
    Alternatively, I know a guy in your town who could give you some lessons for a fee
    Sounds like a good idea

If you want to see an example of a proportional site, mine is. I suppose a truly fluid site would be single-column.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler