Blog Entries

Forum session timeout

It has been brought to my attention that some people are being logged out of the forum before they have finished composing their message and consequently losing the message. First of all I'll repeat what I said earlier for those who missed it:

Never rely on any internet form to retain your information - there are too many things that can go wrong. Even random connection glitches can cause all your text to be lost when you submit it. If you're writing any more than a couple of simple paragraphs, my advice is to always compose the message in Wordpad (or whatever you use) and then copy/paste it into the form.

At the very least, always do this before you hit the submit button: Making sure you're still in the text area (ie before you click outside it), hit Ctrl-A (select all), Ctrl-C (copy). It's very simple and it gives you a good backup against anything except a total hang. I do it every time I submit any form with text - once it becomes a habit you do it without thinking.
    Here at MediaCollege.com the session timeout duration was set at 15 minutes, meaning that if you are seen to be inactive for 15 minutes your session will be considered finished. There are various reasons for needing to do this, such as recording read/unread messages etc. I can see that 15 minutes may not be enough for some messages so I have increased the session timeout duration to 30 minutes. I don't really want to push it any further than this or else it will start to create problems.

One way to make sure your session doesn't timeout is to periodically click the Preview button while composing the message. This tells the forum that you're still active.

One person has reported being logged out after 3 minutes. I have no idea why your session would terminate after such a short time, but I am advised by the folks at vbulletin.com (who make the forum software) that there is no other setting within the forum which would cause this to happen. If it happens to you, please check your browser's security settings and make sure you don't have any unusually harsh restrictions. I'd also appreciate being told as I need as much information as possible if I'm to help.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Quote: Dave
    View Post
    One person has reported being logged out after 3 minutes. I have no idea why your session would terminate after such a short time, but I am advised by the folks at vbulletin.com (who make the forum software) that there is no other setting within the forum which would cause this to happen. If it happens to you, please check your browser's security settings and make sure you don't have any unusually harsh restrictions. I'd also appreciate being told as I need as much information as possible if I'm to help.
    And I'm guessing if we do have problems, we'd need to advise which browser (and version), any security add-ons or plugins, etc. Any cookie killers, script blockers and so forth.
    I know with all the Firefox add-ons around these days you could build a pretty paranoid browser that still has functionality as long as you remember to allow the right sites access.