Not sure what this is known as .....

I would like to record my son playing his violin with our Mini-DV cam and edit on my computer.

I would like to keep the audio rolling but remove portions of the video. I would like to add some photographs in these sections of missing video?

More info:
    No editing software? What would be a recommendation of editing product.

Computer:
    AMD Athlon 64X2 dual core, ASUS M2N - SLI Deluxe, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD,
    PNY GeForce 8500GT grahpics card DVI.

Vista Home Premium 64 SP1

Thanks
    dp

Hi DP
    I tend to always suggest Sony Vegas (liable to get me shot down in flames by Adobe users!!) but their version of Movie Studio has all the features at a tiny price !!!
    However if you want to go real budget then you will find that Vista already has MovieMaker installed and it might just do the job.

Most NLE's will allow you to add an upper track which will hold the pics you want to insert. There is no need to cut out any existing video as the track above simply "covers" any lower track material that you already have running so you get an inserted image or video without losing the audio.

Chris

Thanks

Thank you for your input, I am truly lost in this endevour. I'm sure I will have more questions and reading more post's.

dp

Blog Entries
    Hey Chris, I used Sony Vegas on a project with a local school recently. I didn't get to know it that well (not much time) but I was quite impressed with what I saw. For the cost I think it's a very nice package.

djprov, as Chris said, it's all about layering video tracks. If you're familiar with layers in Photoshop, the concept is similar. Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere Elements are both good solutions that won't break the bank.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi Dave
    Vegas Pro is a little pricey but I was suggesting Vegas Movie Studio which has most of the bells and whistles still but you are limited to the number of tracks you have. It's still plenty powerful enough to create a good end result. Hmmm never thought of Premiere Elements..that's also easy and in-expensive too!!

If you need any help, DJProV, all you need you is ask as there are users here with plenty of expertise on both Vegas and Elements so you will be able to create your desired project without too much stress!!!

Chris

Hi Chris / Dave,

Yes I know something about Photo editing programs and levels. That sounds pretty easy. Thanks.

dp