Thread: mixers

mixers

I was wondering what is the life of a mixer that is used daily?
    Anything would be helpfull.
    Regards,
    Ivan Fegundez. Recording Technician, live sound technician, and mastering technician.

depends on the make, the coniditions of the enviornment it is located, the way it is used (or abused) so on and so on, there is no way to predict faliure of any piece of gear like that unless when you pour a jack and coke down the center of your mixer, you could predict it would fail by the time it started seeping out the bottom of it.

Blog Entries
    A guy I know bought a 2nd-hand mixer 20 years ago and it's still going today. It's not used daily but it has had to work hard. It looks like a museum piece and it's half the size of a football field, but it sounds fine. I can't recall the brand - it's not a well-known one I don't think.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Wern't mixers made with better quolity stuff back then? So can anyone maybe try to predict the lifespan on a Mackie mixer that is used everyday, maybe all day?
    Regards,
    Ivan Fegundez. Recording Technician, live sound technician, and mastering technician.

wouldent like to say bit u have a gemni mixer bought new and lasted just under a year and that was used night in night out lol (night club again) but i have a cam 1 now and not a problem

Quote: nathan@gcrfm
    View Post
    wouldent like to say bit u have a gemni mixer bought new and lasted just under a year and that was used night in night out lol (night club again) but i have a cam 1 now and not a problem
    In this kace, we are talking live sound mixers, not dj mixers.
    Regards,

One thing that kills mixers quickly is people smoking. I gather that's not a problem in your case. The only benchmark I know is in church use, where even a cheap mixer can be expected to work fine for at least 5 years. After that, technology will be so far from where it is today that the whole idea of an analog mixer will seem ridiculous.

Being in a humid environment will kill a mixer as well. Why you would put a sound/video booth in a humid environment, I don't know but I just finished moving a TV station out of its old home below a commercial dishwasher (hot and humid were understatements, we broke 90F while there was 10 feet of snow on the ground outside)
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

humidity

Hey, I used to work on a pipe organ that was installed below a bathroom. The organist wasn't the only person who thought it stunk.