Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Starting Off, What Camera To Get.

Hey guys,
    I have had an interest in making films, since as long as I can remember, and I am enthusiastic about getting experience in Video Production, and camera work. lately my local youth group has been thinking about forming a media team, for anouncments etc. I have had experience in digital photography (still), and I am computer literate.

All I really want to know is a good camera around 600 bucks to start off, I am looking for something that I can record and transfer to a computer (prefferably HDD recording), I am also looking for something that would be good in extreme lighting (music events)......with good quality.

I have also considered sound, because I would be shooting music events, such as bands, and I doubt the microphone in the camera would be suited for such operations. I'd just like a recommendation on what would be good to start with, I am currently in Yr 10, so I can't get something super expensive. Consider that I also live in Australia, that might be a problem, with camera models, etc.

Oh, and I'd like to ask what video editing software would be the best to start with as well, don't worry about cost for this one.
    Last edited by bluceree201; 21st Jun 2008 at 13:16.

Hi there bluceree201,

If your lightings are good, then most cameras will do fine.

Your budget (and with a preference for HDD recording) will probably land you up with a JVC GZ-MG330H or a Sony DCR-SR45E. They are not the best but they are near to your set budget. Go online and afterwards to a store to get a hands-on to make sure it meets your requirements before you decide.

The only issue I have with these two are: Only top end consumer cameras have mic and headphone terminals built into them nowadays. And the two that I have suggested have no mic/headphone input. My suggestion is to get a decent (but affordably cheap) mp3 recorder that supports line-in from the mixers and join the audio with the visual during editing. Not ideal, but it's another way to save. They will give the cleanest sound without all the buzz and stuff. That is on the assumption that you are able to gain access to the sound room/area, and the output is well mixed. Note also that the sound engineer usually is mixing for live output, not for a recording, so the sound may sound alright live, but not recorded. I encountered this issue before.

Oh, and I'd like to ask what video editing software would be the best to start with as well, don't worry about cost for this one.
    Hmm.. for a student to have budget constraints with the camera and not the software just points me to one conclusion. Let me limit my suggestions: that you use what is default in your system. Avid used to have an Avid Free DV software but it's been discontinued. See if you can find it. Another affordable solution is Premiere Elements. Not the best but it works.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

What sort of editing do you plan on doing? Simple cuts? Cuts and dissolves? Fancy effects?
    What operating system are you on?
    Are you ok with waiting a day for a project to render its final output?
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Hi
    For around AUS$600 you really need to look at a used camera, preferably on eBay where you can pick up a fairly good 3 chip model for that price.

If you are considering editing then it would be wiser to go for a MiniDV tape unit. DVD and HDD cameras already compress the video into MPEG2 format and re-rendering the format will give you a big drop in quality!!!

As far as makes are concerned it's really up to you!! I have always used Panasonic but it doesn't matter whether you go for Canon, Sony or JVC either..totally your choice!!

If your editing requirements are basic then you already have an editor on any Windows Based PC called Windows Movie Maker for free!! Otherwise the choice is yours but don't get too fancy. It again a personal choice here!! I used Sony Vegas (by choice) and feel that Vegas Movie Studio is a cheap enough package to do good work and it's less than $100!!
    Adobe Elements is good but I have never had much desire to use Pinnacle or Ulead products (but that's my choice!!)

Your important purchase is your camera and buying used is probably wise so you can give it a whirl and then decide what features you would prefer when you upgrade to something better. You can often get a "prosumer" used model in your price range rather than buying a new domestic camera.
    My miniumum specs would be 3CCD, MiniDV, an external mic facility, headphone facility and at LEAST manual control on shutter, iris AND mic input (very important!!!! as most cams have AGC that will make your life a misery!!)

Chris

hey guys,
    well, I didn't really consider Mini Dv, because I assumed you'd have to get it the a computer by buying something to put the DV tape in.

Anyways, my operating system is Windows XP Pro,
    AMD athlon 3700+
    2gb ram
    ati 2600xt
    and allot of HDD space.

anyways, I'd be absolutely fine with Mini DV as long as their is a reasonable way to get it to the computer.
    As far as software goes, I am willing to use;
    Adobe Premiere Elements
    Pinnacle Studio
    Sony Vegas

if you have any other suggestion, tell me.

I'd really also love to know a good online store that sells worldwide, thats trustworthy, and good price. (don't feel like using Ebay for worldwide)

All miniDV cameras will have a firewire connector and if your PC is fairly new you will find that it has an onboard firewire card..if not the cards and cable rarely cost more than $30 anyway!! The camera runs in playback mode and feeds the PC with the data. No extra device is needed.
    Just be very careful of the newer AVCHD format on SD cards!! You need at least a QuadCore machine to edit the footage and a MEGA video card. With MiniDV my little P4 2gb machine with 512Mb ram handles MiniDV footage comfortably!!

If you are buying overseas then make sure you get a PAL camera!! I have been buying and selling on eBay for many years and it's still the best place to pick up a used camera. Otherwise decide which brand you are gravitating towards and join a users forum. They will often has stuff for sale at bargain prices!! I know the Pana3ccd forum often has Aussie users selling or buying. If you buy private you won't have to pay GST as well
    You can also try the local community newspapers for bargains!!

Chris

Oh good....thanks for that, what model do you recommend?
    good to know quality isn't compromised.

Quote: ChrisHarding
    View Post
    All miniDV cameras will have a firewire connector
    unfortunately this is not always true, it should be as it costs less than $5 to add such a connection but some manufacurers refuse to put IEEE1394 (firewire/i.Link) connectors on their low-end cameras. Check that the camera has one before you buy it (it may be listed as firewire, ieee1394, 1394, or i.Link).

As for editing, for free:
    If you want some fancy effects but are willing to wait for render time, try ZweiStein v3 (not v4).
    If you want simple editing and aren't too worried about quality, you can use the included Windows Movie Maker, if you want a bit more quality, there is a downloadable version of WMM (I think they call it 2, can't say for sure though) from Microsoft that has more output options.
    If you know exactly what you want to do with your video and know how to log footage and write simple scripts (or are willing to learn), you can use AVISynth in conjunction with some sort of converter (like VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod) to perform the edit quickly and utilize a variety of effects and transitions.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Thanks for that information Eric
    I must admit that I have never seen a DV camcorder without a Firewire output. Digital 8 cams but never no firewire. Any idea of what models came without it???
    However if you buy a couple of years old camcorder from one of the big names then there is a 99% chance it will have firewire.

Just thinking about the no firewire, i did notice that there are stacks of "so called" DV camcorders (mostly from Asia and unbranded) that write a video to an SD card and obviously have no link. These are usually "web style video 640x480 at 15fps much like the video capture you can do on a still camera. DON'T try to use these cheapie ones!!! They produce nasty clips much the same as a mobile phone and are useless except to show your mates!!!

Anyway as Eric says make sure you can link the camera to your PC!!

Chris

hey guys, thanks for the info so far!

as for money sake, I can probably raise the margin to about 1000.
    OK, I will probably change the criteria:
    must be 1000-1200 bucks
    must have a way to transfer to a computer without comprimising quality
    must be something that won't out date too quick.

sorry for the change in question.

I am really looking forward to get a camera, so I can make an ametuer film!
    oh yeah, the software thing,
    I can use anything, suggest the best thing to use, don't worry about the costs, I have relatives who can get me cheap software (unfortunately not video cameras lol)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast