strange channel on mixer

On the mixer at the church, I sometimes turn on a mic to have it sound really scrachy. It kind of sounds like the person is talking through tin can or something. If I turn the channel off and on, sometimes it will fix it, and sometimes not. I have one channel that will not work. What is going on?
    Anything would be helpfull.
    Regards,
    Ivan Fegundez. Recording Technician, live sound technician, and mastering technician.

Hi,

What model and brand of mixer are you using? Also how old is the mixer in service? You might need to check it for servicing.

Regards,

Arnold

Bad connection. This could either be crud that's built up in the switch (or some other component) or dirty contacts in one of the mic cables.

First thing is to find out whether it's in the mixer or the mic cable. Get some contact cleaner and spray every cable connection between the mic and mixer, then plug and unplug every connection several times. (If the mics are phantom powered, this should be done twice a year on general principles.)

If that doesn't fix it, it's time to open up the mixer and get to work with the contact cleaner. The person doing this should be someone who has done it before.

If this is a channel that's used with a wireless mic, try a different mic. Wireless mics can sometimes have transmission problems that sound like dirty contacts.

Quote: karl eilers
    View Post
    Bad connection. This could either be crud that's built up in the switch (or some other component) or dirty contacts in one of the mic cables.

First thing is to find out whether it's in the mixer or the mic cable. Get some contact cleaner and spray every cable connection between the mic and mixer, then plug and unplug every connection several times. (If the mics are phantom powered, this should be done twice a year on general principles.)

If that doesn't fix it, it's time to open up the mixer and get to work with the contact cleaner. The person doing this should be someone who has done it before.

If this is a channel that's used with a wireless mic, try a different mic. Wireless mics can sometimes have transmission problems that sound like dirty contacts.
    Well see the strange thing about this, is that the channels change every week. So let's say that the pasters channel is not working one week, then it will work the next the the piano will not work.
    Regards,
    Ivan Fegundez. Recording Technician, live sound technician, and mastering technician.

The mixer probably needs a service. The contact cleaner is a good suggestion, but a service might be the ultimate solution especially to fix the channel that's not working. To fix the tin sound you mentioned I'd follow the advice and check everything to isolate the source of the problem. If it happens to be a specific channel giving the problem,it should be fixed after it's been serviced. Shop selling mixers should be able to help you or advise you.

The reason I suspected mic cables is because when one side of a balanced line "makes" and the other doesn't, the only signal coupling you get is due to stray cable capacitance. This makes for a tinny (bass shy) sound. When it's a dirty contact inside a mixer, the sound tends to either be there or not.

If things change every week, you can make a lot of progress by keeping track of exactly what parts are in which signal path each time. That tends to narrow things down.

By the way, I assume the system is not wired so more than one mic is connected to one channel. Parallel wiring of mics is always wrong.

ok well heres another problem. Now I am getting a loud popping sometimes static and when people talk it's scrachy. This only happens in serin channels. Btw, the mixer moddle is the yamaha m2500.
    Regards,