help on running large mixer

Hi all, well just to update everyone on what I am doing in terms of live sound, I am now running the big mixer in the main part of the church. This is the really really really really really really crappy Yamaha mixer I told yall about, also the one with the channel that likes to give us hell. Anyways, I need yalls advice on something. On Sunday mornings, we sing, (duh?) And the director sings on a headset mic. Now we have cwier mics set up for the cwier, and heres my question. The directors mic is on one side of the mixer, and the 3 cwier mics are on the other. I have had to move really fast to get all 4 mics going, I have about 3 seconds to do it all. I was wondering if there is any kind of tecneeck for this kind of thing.
    Any advice would be helpful. I look forward to hearing from you!
    Regards,
    Ivan Fegundez. Recording Technician, live sound technician, and mastering technician.

Not sure what you mean by "going"... does each mic channel have a mute button? You could set things up ahead of time and then mute the individual mics; that way all you have to do is push the buttons.

'Nother thing - are there enough submix busses that you can set up all the musicians on one submix? Then when the time comes you've only got one fader to worry about. That's the way they do it at the last church I did a system for. Works out 100% spiffy.

Quote: karl eilers
    View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "going"... does each mic channel have a mute button? You could set things up ahead of time and then mute the individual mics; that way all you have to do is push the buttons.

'Nother thing - are there enough submix busses that you can set up all the musicians on one submix? Then when the time comes you've only got one fader to worry about. That's the way they do it at the last church I did a system for. Works out 100% spiffy.
    We are using all subgroups for external audio sorces rite now. and the thing is with the meute buttons, like I said, If one mic is on one side of the board, and the others are on the other, which should I turn on first? The director? Or the cwier?
    Regards,
    Ivan Fegundez. Recording Technician, live sound technician, and mastering technician.

A few questions to get you thinking:
    Can they be put on the same side of the board without causing major issue?
    Are they usually quiet right before they start singing? (either the director or the choir, they don't both need to be) If so, you can slowly bring them up when you anticipate their singing.
    Can you re-appropriate sub-mixes, maybe two only need to be mono and are currently mapped through two separate stereo sub-mixes?
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Quote: tonsofpcs
    View Post
    A few questions to get you thinking:
    Can they be put on the same side of the board without causing major issue?
    Are they usually quiet right before they start singing? (either the director or the choir, they don't both need to be) If so, you can slowly bring them up when you anticipate their singing.
    Can you re-appropriate sub-mixes, maybe two only need to be mono and are currently mapped through two separate stereo sub-mixes?
    Why could putting them on the same side of the mixer be an issue? Can you give me an exampel?
    Regards,

Quote: ivan
    View Post
    Why could putting them on the same side of the mixer be an issue? Can you give me an exampel?
    If there's no issue with it, go ahead and move them. I didn't know if there was any other reasons for placement, maybe they need to be near other things for some reason.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

They are probably separated to keep from confusing anyone, so the directors mic is far enough away that it won't be shut off when the choir mics are... if it won't be an issue (make sure you label the director's new channel VERY clearly) then move it closer, but how far apart are they? the board can't be so big that you can't hit the simultaneously, I've worked on some huge boards and could reach the mute buttons on the first and last channel at the same time.... just sayin', but go ahead and move it if that is an option...