sony pd170 shoulder support

Hi, New to this forum and new to video too. I have been doing a little outdoor filming for some hunting footage and have decided to purchase a pd 170 and want to get some type of shoulder support so I can film off my shoulder with it. I have use a canon xl1 off the shoulder and did fine and was told the sony is a little harder to film that way but in hunting situations a tripod is tough to use and I need something pretty compact and light and of course affordable. ANy ideas out there? THanks nwhunter

Hi NW Hunter
    Welcome to the forum!!

All you need really is a simple camera mount with a "u" shaped bracket to sit on your shoulder which would be easy enough to make yourself. Just a piece of aluminium with one end shaped to your shoulder and a little padding on it and the straight bit with a 1/4" mount for your cam.

A novel and great idea is to put a counterweight on the shoulder end so the camera is balanced!!!

Chris

Thanks Chris, THats a good idea and I was considering that after looking at some of the supports you can buy on the net that are pretty basic. Always open to ideas and thought someone who had used these cams might have came across one that really helps. THanks again. Scott