the right camera?

hi, i think i want to but the panasonic p200, i like the idea of the memory sticks not having a problem with humidity but i'm unsure about the blue ray issue. i'm making docs and short films and footage needs to be broadcast quality. any thoughts or suggestions for this or a different camera? i'm in canada, would like to have pal capability can the p2 do both? thanks

Sort of off topic but I just got back from Niagara Falls. It was awesome. I stayed in Canada, which is beautiful. I got some great footage of both the Horseshoe and American Falls on my GL1 but did not take it on the Maid of the Mist or Journey behind the Falls and I'm glad I didn't. I got soaked.

I wouldn't take a decent video camera on either of those great attractions without serious water protection. I, too, wonder how long tape would be safe even with a proper enclosure for the camera. Actually, I'd be more concerned for the camera than the media.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Hi there openview,

Firstly there is no p200 camera from Panasonic. I guess you were talking about the HVX202/200 that shoots on both mini-DV (SD only) and P2 cards (HD as well). As far as I understand, no it cannot record on BOTH PAL and NTSC broadcasting formats, hence the 202/200 models (one PAL and one NTSC, but I forgot which is which).

However Broadcast formats can be adjusted in post-production. There is Nero Recode (affordable) and some tiny conversion programs for Apple that changes formats.

And yes, as I have mentioned in other posts, up from even the DVX100, the Pannys have been producing excellent materials for broadcast. If in doubt, check with your prospective clients/employers (whom I guess are broadcasters). The reply should be favorable.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore