basic html instructions by this site

new to site: followed instructions and made test html with notepad: when I opened the test in a browser it looked exactly the same: ie it showed exactly what I had typed. I must be making a fundamental mistake. Is there anybody out there: cheers from down under rod

Could you post a link or paste in the code in question?

Otherwise, without seeing the actual code, I would hazard a guess that you've forgotten something like the <html>...</html> tags, which actually tell the browser that it's looking at an html page.

Was that all it was? And if not, does it happen in Internet Explorer and Firefox?

I forget now what the issue was, but I've seen a few pages that displayed just code in Firefox, yet were fine in MSIE. If that's happening in your case I can probably figure out what the problem is...

But either way, post the sample code so we can take a look and no doubt figure it out for you!

Try using http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp to learn more and figure out where you went wrong. Hope it helps.

Let me see if I can answer this one for you. If you have the following in your HTML editor (notepad):

<html>
    <title>Something</title>
    <head>
    <meta some meta information>
    </head>
    <body>
    This is your text.
    </body>
    </html>

And the only thing that is being placed on the page is the following:

This is your text.

This means you are doing it write. But, if all of that information is displayed in the browser window, check to make sure you have the extension of .html at the end of your file name (eg/ index.html, home.html, etc.). See if that is the case.

Sounds more like he forgot the file extension, (.htm, .html).

If you are using windows, remember to turn on the displaying of known file-types before saving your file, this is another of those unnessasery features of windows, which only makes people dumber.

This is done in the Folder Options - Hide extensions of known filetypes, Folder Options is located in the Tools menu of My Computer, you will find the checkbox in the View tab.

Hi rodrickau

You first create one page in Html like

<html>
    <title>Something</title>
    <head>
    </head>
    <body>
    This is your text.
    </body>
    </html>

Then save .htm extension then run in IE. U will get html page..

Yes. This is the basic html code for any web page. Type followings in notepad and save as .htm and run in IE to get the web page.

<html>
    <title>Something</title>
    <head>
    </head>
    <body>
    This is your text.
    </body>
    </html>

Try visiting this site to see if it helps
    http://www.digitalvideoforteachers.co.uk/webDesign.html

This page links to 50 first web pages