Speaker to Audio Jack...

If I have stereo speakers on a handheld, can I get rid of the speakers and connect the wires to an audio jack? The device has crappy speakers and no audio jack. I want to listen to mp3's with headphones. Will this work??

It is not advisable to disconnect your speakers and just insert a jack for headphones. It can be accomplished, but you risk damaging your headphones and most importantly, your ears. Headphones are not amplified. They run at line level whereas speakers run off an amplifier. So to make this work you would have to insert a transformer in the line before the headphone jack to step down the voltage so as not to cause damage. Your best bet is to find a portable mp3 player with headphone jacks already.

I posted original message.

Why I am asking is that I just bought an HP Jornada 690, it does not have headphone jacks. I want to be able to watch movies in private. I don't think that the audio setup on it is as complex as you say, but if it is, where can I get a transformer and what type? All available help on making this work would be greatly appreciated!

I was just looking at your model on HP website and according to the product specs, your model has a jack already as well as one for a microphone. It may be lableled speaker out, but that is the one you want to use. Best of luck.