Hannah

rollover? Adobe Imageready

Hi people! *waves* well I have a question there was this site I cant remember its name but I saved all the screen shot and the instruction just dont remember its addy, well it was about a navigationbar which was like remote control and when you put ur mouse over the link it expands into sub-links (i hope its makin' any sense) okay I'll paste some pics okay I saved from that website

from this

to this

and how to cut images in the middle so when you click on it it expands slowly to show sub-links, for each link.. I hope you understood what I mean..

Blog Entries
    Hi Hannah,

That's a nice looking menu. I'm not actually sure what your question is though. Are you asking if we know the name of the website it came from? Or are you asking how to do this sort of thing?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    Sorry, I've re-read your message and I see you are asking how to do it. I don't really know - personally I don't like ImageReady's automated way of making slices.

But I'd say the answer is somewhere in the slices. ImageReady allows you to take an image and chop it up into slices which can be manipulated using HTML & JavaScript. Hopefully someone else can be more specific.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hannah
    Hi Dave! sorry I was in a hurry when I posted that message so I didn't explain it clearly (and also 'scuse my English I'm still learning)..

well I decided not to use this style 'cause I think it'll be too hard and it'll take too much time to load too, so I've just made a diff style Navbar and also learned how to make slices n everything, but I've heard from a few other PS pros that Image ready doesn't write good HTML so I was wondering is it okay to use image ready to slice the images I've made for my site? if not then what prog should I use instead then? I'm familiar with Macromedia Fireworks? is it any better?

Blog Entries
    No need for apologies, I should have read your message properly in the first place

I've found Fireworks to be a bit better tham ImageReady at creating sliced images, but not so much better that I would bother changing. I still do use ImageReady simply because it's good enough and I like Photoshop.

Bear in mind that I don't actually do a lot of slicing. Someone who does this regularly might know more about it than me.

Anyway, the images from ImageReady should be fine, but you are right about the auto-generated HTML - it's not good. Nor is the HTML produced by Fireworks. It creates a lot of bloated code and IMO gets confusing.

If you can't write the code yourself (or find a script you can modify) then you might have to use the auto-generated code. If you can write the code yourself (or find someone to do it) it will be much better.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Stuart Harris
    It's done pretty much with javascript and using the display attribute in CSS...

To do something like this though, I wouldn't use imageready... except for the first part

you'd have your 'closed' image - with master links on it, each one being split, and obviously with your mouseover, etc... this _SHOULD_ give you then a nice roll over but nothing 'happening'.. the next 'bit' then will be to create the images that go under this (Friends, school, hobbies), their the ones which are 'invisible' till the mouseover (good example here - http://www.quirksmode.org/js/blockinvi.html - this uses onmousedown instead of onmouseover) ...

from there it's pretty much just a case of making the 'rest of the html' .. it might be possible to do it in imageready, i'm not so sure you can though.