Manual settings on Sony Z1

Hello All,

I'm having a few problems getting the manual settings right. In most cases the auto settings on the Z1 are fine. However in difficult lighting conditions the camera needs some help - as most of us know! My problem is that when I switch to manual and adjust the aperture settings not much changes on the flip out screen so I'm working in the dark -so to speak.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Steve

Blog Entries
    I have a Z1 but I don't use the auto features so I'm not sure about them. Have you checked to make sure any other controls are still set to auto which might negate what you're doing? For example, some cameras keep automatically adjusting the shutter or gain until you set them to manual as well.

If you still can't get it then I could try and replicate your situation. Tell me as much as you can about all the settings you're using and I'll set mine up the same.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Manual Setting on my Z1

Thanks for your response Dave. I suspect that you're correct that the other setting are compensating - over-riding the manual aperture. so my question is: How do I set the gain & shutter speed to manual? I work in the corporate video business and if the budget allows I use a camera operator. I'm a director & editor but I love shooting and I want to get better at it.

I've got a basic lighting kit which consists of a Lowell soft light and two Lowell pro lights which I usually set as: key, fill & back light when I'm shooting interviews\. But at times I have to shoot in difficult situations where I can't set up lamps and I want to burn out the background to get a good exposure on skin tones. Some advice on how to read Zebras would also be a help.

Thanks again for your response.

Steve

Blog Entries
    There's a three-way switch just under the tape door - move this to the middle setting (Auto/Man). From there you can set everything to manual. You might like to have a look at the operating manual on pages 28-33. These pages discuss manual settings and zebras, although the best way to learn about zebras is probably practice - record a bunch of shots and talk at the same time, describing how the zebras look in the viewfinder. Then play the tape back and compare your comments to the actual recorded exposure. Before long you'll have a good idea of how to interpret them while recording.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com