Help Mr. Wizard or Mr. Owens

Question, is there a simple answer as to why, and excuse if you have been there, for the unimpressive appearance,.....When some people go to a site,that the video tends to run in segmented packets, starting and stop, waiting for the next upload packet! Is this because our server does not have streamming software installed yet, or is it just a limitation of the visitor?

If this is a lame question, please keep in mind I'm a lame newby, and some questions seem important..at least to the lame!

When I go to my site FlagTowntv.com, the video runs front to end, no problem, but then I am using high-speed Inet service!

Mr. Owen you have been to site , did it run properly for you?

Cowboy Bob
    CLPTV
    Last edited by CLPTV; 5th Sep 2008 at 06:30. Reason: same excuse as always

It's not a lame question to begin with.

A few factors, I'll just keep to what I think I know and leave the rest to the real experts.

1. Bandwidth.
    I don't run my own server, I rent one. Question we always ask our vendor, how much bandwidth are we given (what I have now is 1.5mbps unlimited if I am not mistaken). And when it's unlimited, it better buffers even when more people surf your site.

2. Time of the day and distance, meaning traffic.
    Did you ever wonder (at times) why the internet runs slower at certain times of the day? The Internet's like a highway. It runs by cables, tons and miles of weight and distance. When there're too many 'vehicles' running, you get a slower traffic and sometimes jams. Usually these are localized. So sometimes (for example) I am skyping someone from Australia and my internet connection is top speed, we could get a problem connecting somewhere... it could be on the Aussie end, or perhaps on ours!

3. Age of cables..
    This of course belongs to those who maintains cables in your neighborhood. The older the cables, the more likely there'll be issues with connections.

Have fun!
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Help Mr. Wizard

Thank you, if I may ask, did you see the site...flagtowntv.com.....and
    if so did the videos on the page run uninterrupted for you?

Thanks for the information, you know it take many bytes to construct a gig, and I need all the bit, I can gather to make this Gig work....

Cowboy Bob
    CLPTV
    Grand Canyon, AZ

Yup, I took a quick look. Under News, Peace Sign ran well for 30 sec and it started to stutter, each buffer took around 10 - 20 sec for another 12 - 15 sec worth of footage. I went for Rock Steady as a second opinion and it's playing without a glitch at about 2 min while I am typing now. And how do I know it? I'm listening to it.

3 min and everything is a breeze...

Video ended. No interruptions whatsoever.

Just note what I mentioned earlier about traffic. I could be surfing at an 'off peak' time, hence the good 'reception'.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Blog Entries
    For me, the videos almost keep up but they do begin to stutter slightly after about a minute. That's not unusual for me - I'm in New Zealand and videos from overseas often run like this. I just get used to pausing the video and letting it buffer for a while.

One thing I did notice is that your videos are 800x600 pixels. That's nice for fullscreen mode but it's probably not necessary for general web viewing. I'd suggest re-encoding the videos at 360x270 pixels - that should make a difference.

Unfortunately I couldn't easily determine what bitrate your videos are encoded at. That's the other thing to look at. I usually try to keep my videos at around 300kb/sec.

BTW I'll move this thread to the streaming video forum - you may get more responses there.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

The Bytes that never heal

Thanks all, for the imput...another question arises, that of Byte rate, as a concept, my converter software, questions or aborts files because... quote, the current byte rate is to low to support the reqested transfer settings..... not always, but from time to time I get this message during FLV conversion. This while transformming an MPEG-1 to a FLV, I can not control setting for MPEG encoding,,,standard, cuts clean DVDs, I get that my dimentions may be expanded more than neccessary, but when I try to convert standard broadcast ntst, 740 X 480 or something in the area, SVHS, 3 quarter inch and Beta half inch, I guess my lack of education is putting the Byte on me now!

Shot and edited our first, Weather segment this week, lot of time making Weather charts, Daily, 5 Day etc. Built a niffty little open, and close, hopefully will have scheduling for production worked out and weather on the site, daily....in the near future......Cameras rolling!

Also, if interested The Kid's from the High School are delivering their first show this week, should be up soonest!

CLPTV

Blog Entries
    That sounds very odd. What is the software you're using? I think you mentioned it previoously but I can't remember.

I can't imagine why any conversion software would have trouble like this, unless maybe it's not designed for web work.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Mr. Wizard

Dave, I'm using Pazera video to Flash converter 1.0, when 9i ask for 1024X 768 or higher rez, I sometime get an error which states, byre rate to low for the rez settings requested....... I generally just bump up the byte rate to 550, but have had to go 1500 to get HD 1080 range rez, huge file weight, stopped that real quick, the HD rez, that is!

Cowboy Bob
    CLPTV
    flagtowntv.com