real TV on the web

Greeting Mr. Owens, I wish to begin here by thanking you, as you have indirectly provided more assitance then any other source I have found, and that includes a slew of tutorials, which left more questions than answers.

I am new to this world of I-net video, been in professional vid production for some 20 plus years, broadcast mostly, and some commercial production, documentry stuff, but no I-net, until just recently. Approx 2 weeks ago, my little community lost its' one and only Television station, a national network affiliate house, but provided local news, weather, and sports., now we have none! Normally, such events would seem trivial, except this station served more then a little community, it served the entire Northern reach of the state, and the Global icon known as the Grand Canyon.
    Your info on Video sharing sites was interesting, but to be honest, might as well been offered in Greek...nothing personal, I'm just thick. I hold, or have access to several production units -semi-pro, but digital, simple editing and live-switch capability... have secure server space..20gig and domains, no experience in code, don't know what a codac is, but in spite of great ingnorance, site is up, some vids positioned, working on production schedule for more meat, HELP, please, need guidance, and material for post on...flagtowntv.com

CLPTV
    Flagstaff-Grand Canyon USA

Blog Entries
    Hi CLIPTV (or do we call you Cowboy Bob?),

Thanks for the comments and welcome to the forum. I'm really sorry to hear about the closure of your local TV chanel - that's quite a blow. At least the internet provides an alternative to traditional broadcast, and on the bright side, you won't be at the mercy of a large corporation.

In hindsight I should have made it clear in my last blog post that I was talking about fairly advanced video-sharing solutions. The options I reviewed are really only for people who know what they're doing or can afford to hire someone who does. It's not exactly DIY stuff for noobs. If you don't actually need to let people upload their own videos, you're probably better off not attempting anything like this just yet.

Anyway, I had a quick look at what you've done and I think it's a great start. The technical quality of the video clips isn't the best but I'm not sure how much of that is due to the original tape and how much is the encoding process (converting from tape to digital). It looks like you're using a reasonable quality encoder though.

One thing I did notice... You had the bad luck to download a buggy version of the media player - that's why the stop and play buttons aren't displaying correctly. Downloading the latest version should fix that.

I don't have much else to say at the moment, partly because I'm insanely busy with another project and I'm finding it difficult to make time for mediacollege.com right now. However there are quite a few knowledgable people here who like helping out. My best advice for now is to keep doing what you're doing, and maybe think about making some sort of introduction video (e.g. tell people who you are and what you plan to do with the website).

Please keep in touch with any new developments - I'm looking forward to seeing how it unfolds for you.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Project CLPTV for FlagTown

Thanks Dave, for the encouragement, the vid quality is soft, Master tape was SVHS, from early 1990s, originally the project was to save the live production footage to digital, some of the less aged stuff is still good, but much has degraded over time, the down side of tape!

Worked up an intro, and getting started on News, weather and sports,
    my primary questions, outside of site building, is at what resolution to convert files, options are SVGA 800X600, XGA -1024 X 768, or UXGA - 1600X1200, along with HD-480, HD-720, and HD-1080, I get quality in size, but with limited server space, the HD's are heavy weights, 100 meg and up, can you advise as to what is the most common, while still keeping size to a minimal! The converter is Pazera, it works well and is almost dummy proof, a must in my case.... Also uncertain about BITRATE, is there a standard, and what exactly does it effect? I did note that in test, trying to control file output size caused cut-offs in time-line, I'm guessing that one should leave somethings as they are.

On the sharring point, It is my intent to utilize the site as a FREE landing for inde producer's, and we tried to secure professional site help, but a much limited option, 200 miles from anywhere, so we went at it ourselves.

Plus note, wife is a data systems analyst, so she has been tackling the sub-code and embedding aspects, but it's a new world for her, and work time is limited...I just makes the TV stuff, that is with a little help from my friends, and the crew at the High School.

Also would be interested in presenting Sister city material, and as we are at the Big Pothole at the end of the road, it seems the whole world is our sister city, just ask the tourists, they will tell how it belongs to them!

Thanks again Dave, and to those who sit in the background, and just watch, jump in I'm not proud, just working in the dark, all aid is appreciated!

Please excuse, speeling and such, this is the reason I do vid, and music production, little if any writing required.....

Later Dave....

Cowboy Bob
    Last edited by CLPTV; 3rd Sep 2008 at 06:06. Reason: can't spell worth a dang

Blog Entries
    For video size you shouldn't need more than SD (standard definition, e.g. 720480 pixels for 4x3 videos). To be honest I wouldn't even bother going that high for the Internet - people are pretty happy accepting lower quality. I tend to use 480x270 pixels because it's 16x9 aspect ratio, it's exactly 1/4 HD size, and it provides acceptable quality in fullscreen mode. I target a bitrate of 300kb/sec although many other producers aim higher.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

TV on the Web.....maybe

Greetings Mr. Owen....................

If you get a chance, check out the flagtowntv.com.... site/ under sports,
    the three-part dramody, was something produced as part and parcel, of another show, but inspite of the vid degrading, still worth showing, hope you enjoy!

On the Byte rate issue, is this aspect what controls the rate of demand at upload for the end user? Or, in my lame discriptions, byte rate directs the number of bytes presented in a single packet, at the request of an up-load, if the byte rate is to high, it will over burden the receiving service and cause slow down or disconnect ?????? If I am misinformed, please clarify, as I am stubbling over understanding, what is what, and for why!

Appreciate the suggestions about file size and resolutions, pic size etc...
    have been trying some varriations, did 360X270 as burn ques for some FLV conversions, thought the vid quality was poor..grainey ... bumped up to the next level 640X480 that seems to look a little better, and the weight of the file, versus 800X600 or 1024X768 is dramatic, a serious saving in disk allocation, but alas, only so much you can do with 15 year old video!

as always thanks for the aid.

Cowboy Bob
    CLPTV
    FlagTownTV.com