Thread: Rounded Corners

Rounded Corners

I am trying to create smaller 2x2 web ads for my website, but I cannot figure out how to round the corners and export to a transparent GIF. Any advice?

Blog Entries
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

You also need a technique to use these images, once made. I would recommend you simply make them in Paint.NET or Gimp if you don't have photoshop.

One technique (which is fine for fixed-width layouts), is cutting how a image into three parts, and using them as background-images on division elements.

-----TopBorder-----
    -----ContentBorder-----
    -----BottomBorder-----

As said, fine for fixed-width layouts. But it just wouldn't work for percentage based layouts. This is where you would use a complex float layout, or resort to the easier solution with absolute positioning of your division elements.

You would usually slice the image into 8 parts, or use the CSS Sprites technique. Anyway one part for each border you use.

In any case, each border will need its own division element, positioned inside a containing element with its position set to relative. The border-divisions would then be placed outside the content division by using a negative value. An example can be seen at: http://www.brugbart.com/Examples/Bordertechnique.html