Problem with review panel in Windows Movie Maker

When I transfer video from my camcorder (Sony DCR-TRV22E) to Windows Movie Maker only the top half of the review panel is working. The bottom half displays video noise. End result is that I can only see the top half of the pictures that are being transferred. When I play the transferred images on the story board they are fine. The whole picture gets shown.

I've got the latest version of Direct X installed and the latest drivers for the video card (Matrox 450 dual head). The Firewire capture card is a cheapie but it has an NEC chip and I reason that it's all working OK because the video signal from the camcorder is actually being captured perfectly, it's just that I can't see the whole picture in the review screen while it is being captured.(I can see the whole picture in the LCD on the camcorder, but that's not the point - I should be able to see it in the review panel too.)

The PC has a 2.3 gig chip and 256mb of RAM. The hard drive holds 80gb and is nearly empty. It spins at 7200 RPM.

I'd appreciate any help that's available,
    Carlos

Blog Entries
    Sorry you haven't had any help with this one. Unfortunately not many video people know much about Windows Movie Maker because it's considered a bit of a toy.

I've experimented with Windows Movie maker a bit and I couldn't even get simple editing tasks done. I know you won't want to hear this but it's not a good enough tool to be editing with and I'd recommend getting something better.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com