Cable Type - Does it matter

Good Morning

I am trying to set up a sound system for a fairly new and small church - I must admit that I am fairly new at the sound game as well.

My question is - Is the type of cable we run from the stage inputs to the mixing desk critical - does it have to be shielded audio cable or can plain single core computer type cable be used.

Thanks
    Brinjal

Quote: Brinjal
    View Post
    My question is - Is the type of cable we run from the stage inputs to the mixing desk critical
    Depending on the run length and other factors (interference sources, like are all of your lights incandescent or fluorescent, are you running balanced or unbalanced lines, etc), it may be critical or it may just be important (and useful) to use good quality cable.
    does it have to be shielded audio cable or can plain single core computer type cable be used.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "plain single core computer type cable".
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Eric, I think Brinjal means single-conductor unbalanced shielded.

Brinjal, in any kind of good-quality work, there is one and only one acceptable standard for microphones and microphone cables. Microphones must be low-impedance balanced. Cables must be two wires enclosed by a shield, and the wires should be twisted. This is what standard "twisted pair" audio line refers to.

This implies that the mikes themselves are low impedance and balanced, and the mixer has balanced inputs. If not, your system will be susceptible to pickup of hum, light dimmer buzz, and radio interference. Also, if the mikes are high impedance, you're likely to lose high frequencies due to cable capacitance. If you're familiar with electric guitars and their tendancy to pick up crud - that's what high impedance and unbalanced lines get you. That's why low-impedance balanced is the standard for mikes.

There's loads of info on this site that describe what impedance, balancing and so on are all about. It would be worth an hour or two of your time to snoop around here.

Also, give us model numbers of the equipment you want to use. That will tell us a lot.

Umm - having said all the above, beware of people who insist that you must buy special audiophile cable at twenty dollars a foot. Esoteric cable will make no difference in your application. Just get cable that has two wires, twisted around each other, inside a shield. Oh, and you don't need thick wire. I don't know how wire gauges are measured in Zimbabwe, but by the U.S. standard no. 22 or 24 wire is just fine.

Cable type

Good Morning

Thanks for your responses.

We are using a JB Systems PMC8 8 channel powered mixer and at present have two guitars a keyboard and three microphones which we are connecting to it.

I am actuallly connecting the microphones through a separate 4 channel microphone mixer.

The guitars, keyboard and mikes are all connected to the input using the proper cabling.

My problem is between the input and the mixer - ie a snake type cable - this is the one I am worried about.

The single core cable I referred to is the standard CAT5 twisted pair network cable used in computer networks.

Thanks
    Brinjal

Ah, now that you've given more specific info, I can give a specific answer:

I dunno.

I tried to find the mix/amp on the web, didn't come up with anything. Does the mic mixer have a digital output, and does the JB mix/amp have a digital input?

General rule: wherever the signal is analog, use shielded cable. The exception is speaker cables.

Cable Type

Good Morning Karl

Thanks for your reply.

Re the input type of the mixer - I dunno

I have attached the owners manual - hopefullt this will help

Thanks
    Brinjal
    Attached Images Attached Images