Need help in making my stage monitors sound better

I am a growing sound man, who is now beginning to experiment with new sound equipment in order to get it to sound its extreme best. I'm trying to get a better sound out of my stage monitors. I have 4 Peavy powered monitors with a 5-band graphic equalizer on it. The sound I'm getting out of the monitors is a mediocre sound that doesn't sound clean and full sounding. I have a bbe compressor and a dbx EQ hooked up to the monitors which helps the sound a little bit, but I can tell that the monitor speaker needs to be crossed over in order to get a better sound as well as for me to increase the level which isn't loud enough. But, I'm not sure is it possible to crossover live stage monitor signals like you do main speaker signals? The sound I'm getting out of my stage monitors is sort of the same sound I use to get from my main speakers until I got a crossover and subwoofer and crossed over the signals. Now my main speakers sound fantastic. I wish this was or is it possible to hook up stage monitors like this. Is it possible to hook up a small subwoofer to live stage monitors to crossover the signal in or to separate the high frequency in the monitor to get a better sound like you do main speakers? I've never heared of it, but am wondering if this can be done or does exitst. I really just want to know if there's a way to crossover my live stage monitor signals and how if possible.

You can do the external crossover and subwoofer trick with stage monitors too. But why? Low frequencies are nondirectional; aren't the musicians hearing enough bass from the mains?

The biggest problem many users experience with monitors is too much bass. It builds up on stage until the musicians hear nothing but mud. There's a growing market for monitors with directionally-controlled bass radiation for that reason.

What's important to musicians is not how good the monitors sound but whether they can hear themselves clearly. Good sound is not necessarily the same as clear sound. Now, it is quite possible that the Peaveys don't have good clarity; if so they need work. But trying to make them more "hi-fi" may make the problem worse. Fidelity, far from guaranteeing clairity, actually works against it to some extent.

Amateur musicians often want hi-fi sound so they can judge the mix. More experienced musicians know there is no way to judge a mix from stage. They want you to set up the monitors so they can hear each other, and they rely on you to judge the house mix.

Give this a try: play a recording of a complex mix thru the monitors at full live-performance volume. Can you hear every singer and every instrument clearly? If not, try turning the bass all the way down. Never mind that this sounds lousy; can you hear all the instruments now? And can you get more level than before?

If so, this should point you in a different direction than you were thinking. If not, you need to borrow different kinds of monitors and try them out.

Thankyou so very much for that wisdom. What you said makes a whole lot of sense and I agree with your advice. Also thankyou so very much for taking time out of your schedule to help me. This knowledge truly helps me a lot. DJ Tony