Thread: Recording?

Recording?

I am starting a new film project and I am going to be using an external mic. On a previous project we used a laptop to record onto because my camera does not have an audio in port. However, I no longer have access to any laptops and was wondering what I should record onto.

I was thinking about recording onto cassette tape and then making that a cd and then putting that into my pc but I have no idea what kind of quality this will afford me.

If anyone knows if this is a good idea, or can give me another good idea it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Everyone will tell you cassettes are completely obsolete. Which is true. But that doesn't mean they can't work. If you lived near me, I could play you a tape made in 1949 that is CD-quality.

The limiting factor will be the cassette. (Assuming you're good enough with microphones to catch decent sound to begin with.) The best cassette technology is (was) Dolby "C" with HX pro, which could give you recordings that were hard to distinguish from CDs.

Once you have a good cassette recording, you should be able to transfer to CD and then computer with little further degradation. Whether all of this winds up with acceptable quality will depend more than anything else on what you're trying to do. Voice dialog? Fine. Symphony orchestra? Maybe or maybe not. (I just said the same thing in another forum. This must be a common problem.)

Possible issue: timing. Nowadays, with digital recording, we're used to having things stay in step with each other automatically. Not so with analog recordings. There will be minute speed differences between when you record the cassette and when you play it back. Will that screw up the film? What if you lose lip-sync? Can you edit after loading the audio into the computer?

I will be recording dialogue. The timing could be a problem but based on what you are telling me I think it is worth a try. The syncing could be a problem, but I can edit the audio once it is on my pc.
    I think I will give this a try. Thanks Karl.