What Equipment Do I Need To Record My Drumkit?

hey guys,
    I would like to ask about recording a drum kit...

I am planning on buying a relatively cheap Mic set, and a mixer, but I also want to buy 2 Shure SM57s later on.....

the mixer is:
    http://ashtonmusic.com.au/productView.asp?productID=417
    and the mic set is:
    http://ashtonmusic.com.au/productView.asp?productID=89

My main question is what else I need... I want to connect the mixer to my computer, and edit them from there, but I want it so I have individual tracks for each mic.

Me and a friend are working on a song, he plays guitar, I am thinking a Shure SM57 would be sufficient, but am not too sure. The setup that I am thinking of costs around $480 AUS, excluding the Shure Mics.

So whats your suggestions and advice?
    I have a feeling, I need to buy allot more.

I should have made it clearer.....
    I am basically asking if this is the only thing I need to record drums to computer.
    Does my question answer itself?

You need cables to connect the microphones to the mixer and the proper cabling to connect the mixer to your PC. Also note that you may want an external sound interface rather than just using your current soundcard, for higher quality and less interference.

Edit: you might also want some way to secure the mics (stands?)...
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

yeah....
    I was wondering if the mixer is all I need to connect the mics to the computer, or what I would need to do so.

thanks for your help so far.

hey,

your mic kit and mixer are not bad.

like Eric said you will need quite a few cables and I also highly recommend a audio interface... Try have a look for a Presonus USB interface, they sound good and are reasonably cheap.

as for your guitarist, it depends on what you mean by recording guitar. Is that mic'ing an acoustic or mic'ing an guitar amp?

for an amp, SM57's are used quite commonly. You could always go for a high SPL condenser mic but the SM57 should be okay...

as for acoustic, you might be best going towards the condenser mics.

you could get a small-diaphragm condenser from Rode (right in your backyard so to speak)...

this might be a bit late but hope it helps...

Cam.

Hold the phone, guys.

"...separate track for each mic..." ?

I'm out of my comfort zone here, I don't do recording studios, but this sounds like more than a simple mixer deal. To get a number of mic signals into the computer, simultaneously but separately, each on its own track, is a bit involved.

Am I missing something?

Yes, Multitrack recording is a bit involved.

What I am meaning is to mix the levels and stereo balance on your mixer and simply routing a stereo out feed to a 2 channel audio interface.

If you would like to record each channel simultaneously but as individual tracks on your DAW, you will have to get your hands on an 8 or 12 channel Audio Interface such as the 'Presonus FireStudio' or the 'Mackie Onyx 1200F'.

Quote: cameron
    View Post
    Yes, Multitrack recording is a bit involved.

What I am meaning is to mix the levels and stereo balance on your mixer and simply routing a stereo out feed to a 2 channel audio interface.

If you would like to record each channel simultaneously but as individual tracks on your DAW, you will have to get your hands on an 8 or 12 channel Audio Interface such as the 'Presonus FireStudio' or the 'Mackie Onyx 1200F'.
    yeah, my guess would be that the USB output from the mixer can send the 2-track main mix to your computer. It is going to take some tweaking to get all of the levels how you want them, but you should be able to do some basic 2-track recording with it.

If you cannot record to a multi-track, you may have to isolate the guitar mic and record at the same time as the drums.

If you have a recording program, you could then record the acoustic guitar separately using a microphone and the mixer in the same fashion.

USB may lead to latency issues (Timing of the over-dub track not matching the timing of the track that is already recorded because of signal processing delay), depending on your computers processor and sound-card, but that may not be an issue.

Start with the drums, see what you get. GO from there. everything has a learning curve.