Thread: dcr hc30 e

dcr hc30 e

i could not get "burd VCD" option on my digicam. pl. help me out with the steps to be followed

prema karthikeyan

Hi Prema
    As far as I have seen the HC30 is a MiniDV camera and doesn't use disks!! VCD disks are made my compressing video so it fits onto a CD rather than a DVD.
    Tell us exactly what you are trying to achieve and then we can help

Chris

dcr hc 30 E

Hi! Mr. Chris,

i have to explain my problem in detail.

I have a sony cam corder. it uses small cassette for recording videos. i have installed the picture package software and the required driver too.
    now after recording the videos on the cartridges, i want to transfer them to a CD for storage purpose.

when the camcorder is connected to the PC i get i sound recognising the new hardware. but the icon for the same is not displayed on the status bar.

pl. teach me how should i transfer the video recorded on a cartridge (i mean cassette) to my PC or CD.

for your information i wish to add:

i tried the steps. but the final window indicates to insert a CD into the destination drive. but here i always get the message that there is no cd in the destination drive. only after the recognition of the CD i the destination drive, i can go to the next cammand, i.e. start - capture the video from the camcorder.

i expect your guidance so that i can enjoy the purchase of the camcorder.

regards,
    Prema Karthikeyan

Hi Prema

You need to capture your video using Windows Movie Maker (it comes free with Windows!!) Then use the editing section of the software to make either a WMV file for watching on a computer or an MPEG file for DVD

Chris

thank you

hi Chris,

Thank you.

I shall try as guided by you. I hope i may trouble you again, if the result is not positive.

prema

Quote: ChrisHarding
    View Post
    Hi Prema

You need to capture your video using Windows Movie Maker (it comes free with Windows!!) Then use the editing section of the software to make either a WMV file for watching on a computer or an MPEG file for DVD

Chris

Hi there Prema,

From your description, I suspect you need something else - a firewire cable.

You will also need to connect the videocamera to the PC via by the firewire cable. As far as I know, only a USB cable is included in the Canon package, not a firewire. The USB is only good for tramsporting video and photo clips from the memory card and not the cassette tape. That will be your next consideration in troubleshooting the issue, on top of what Chris has described.

Regards!
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Hi Prema, apologies as it is a public holiday from work, and all my relevant cables are in office, so I cannot show you a picture example. However the firewire is being mentioned in the tutorials on MC (Mediacollege) and I have pasted the link below. Look especially under the header of Camera and Computer.

http://www.mediacollege.com/video/editing/non-linear/setup.html

The first thing you must ascertain is whether your laptop or desktop has a firewire port (it's the jack where you plug the firewire into, just like a USB or any other cable). From desktop, if you see the 'Firewire Connector' picture from the link, it would be the female end of the left part of the cable (the bigger end). For laptops (PC especially), it would be the female end of the end on the right (the smaller end). It looks like the firewire port on your video camera.

If you use an Apple computer, it will be the bigger end, regardless whether it's alaptop or desktop.

Now the bigger end is called a 6-pin firewire. The smaller, 4-pin. Once you are sure there is such a port on your computer, you may proceed to purchase a firewire cable (Yes, I believe there should be firewire available in India, but I cannot be sure in specific to where you stay). There are only 2 possible combinations for you. A 4-pin to 6-pin firewire cable (usually a desktop, certain PC laptops and all Apple computers), or a 4-pin to 4-pin (usually a laptop).

Let me know if this is not clear. I will try to attach some pictures to explain, but this will likely take place by the end of the week. That is the reason why I put it up, so the others can help chip in if they are also available to support what I have explained, especially in pictures.
    Loong . Singapore

firewire

hi Nagar,

Thank you . now I am clear.

Thank you once again for making me to understand what my problem is and the steps to be taken to solve the same.

Now I am cofident of using my camcorder to the best of my satisfaction.

regards,
    Prema Karthikeyan

Wow, that is great!

Have fun then, and make cool stuff!
    Loong . Singapore