Thread: The 4400

Blog Entries

The 4400

Just watched the first episode of the miniseries. Quite a good premise and I enjoyed it enough to stick with it. One thing though - I found the ways the "returnees" were dealt with to be just too unbelievable. So much so that it really spoiled the show for my partner and me.

Is it really likely that these people would have been stuck in a bare warehouse for six weeks and then simply turned out into the streets? Come on, there would have been an entire industry built around providing these people with new homes and lives. I understand the need for dramatic licence but this show pushed credibility too far. Suspension of disbelief only works to a point - there has to be some sense that if the initial premise were to happen then the rest of the story could follow. Unfortunately I can't accept the way the rest of the story is unfolding because it's too far out of step with how things work in the real world.

Oh well, we'll see how the next two episodes pan out.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    Well, the pattern continued. This show is a real mix of great and terrible. Great story, some great characters and lots of promise. Unfortunately there are also some terribly cliched characters and plot developments. I'm undecided about whether I'll watch the coming series but at the moment I'm thinking not.

The thing that annoyed me most about the miniseries was the way our local broadcaster didn't bother to mention that the miniseries is merely a pilot for a series. This is a particularly nasty tactic used to suck audiences into a series. Fortunately I had already looked up the miniseries on the net and had figured this out, but I know of many people who were very ticked off at wasting three nights viewing only to be given no resolution to the story. Please broadcasters, be honest and tell us whether the story is actually going to finish or not.

By the way, don't bother going to the 4400 website unless you have a very fast Internet connection and you don't mind wasting bandwidth. It's extremely Flash-heavy with no alternative navigation options. Absolutely shocking design flaw.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I missed the first episode that was shown, but watched the other two. I hadn't realised it was the beginning of a series so was a bit pissed off that it just stopped.

The concept intrigues me, but I felt a little ripped off in the last part where there was hardly any use of any special powers, which is really what I was most interested in.

I don't really watch TV except if I love a show (Starget SG1 used to be my show of choice) but I'll give this another try and see how the next episode or so goes.

Aaron