Which is best for creatring expandable menu?

Hi,
    I'm creating a website and would like to have a horizontal expandable (drop down) menu list. After doing a lot of search and reading, I found the the following methods:
    1. CSS - pseudo-class (:hover)
    2. Javascript - by using "onmouseover" or "onclick" detectors & Definition Lists (<dl>, <dt> and <dd>)
    3. Flash - by creating a flash movie/button and inserting it

When I create the menu with flash or javascript and try to view it in the browser (usually IE), my browser Popup blocker blocks some parts of the website and says:
    "Did you notice the Information Bar? The information bar alerts you when Internet Explorer blocks a pop-up window or file download that might not be safe...."
    But the thing is, when I go to another website that does have flash or javascript, I don't get this message.

QUESTIONS:
    1. Is there anyway I can prevent the popup blocker blocking my webpage?
    2. And which method is recommended for creating an expandable menu?

I would really appreciate if anyone could help me out on this.

Thank you.
    Sonya

Quote: sonay2525
    View Post
    2. And which method is recommended for creating an expandable menu?
    Sonya
    Accordian.js <- google this

the information bar only comes up if it is run from the local machine.
    You won't get this when you upload it

I'd recommend using CSS menus. the ones at cssplay are good.

Quote: sonay2525
    View Post
    which method is recommended for creating an expandable menu?
    1. CSS - pseudo-class (:hover)
    This one. In a browser without CSS support, this will degrade gracefully to a menu; you can even put the code either top or bottom of the page so that you control where it appears in such browsers.
    2. Javascript - by using "onmouseover" or "onclick" detectors & Definition Lists (<dl>, <dt> and <dd>)
    This is better than the final option (flash), but you will still need to put your menus in text somehow (maybe using css tricks) so that it can degrade to browsers that don't support JS but ignore it instead. It will still cause problems for the few browsers that don't ignore JS.
    3. Flash - by creating a flash movie/button and inserting it
    This is horrible. Reasons: (1) it requires a plugin (2) It requires a lot of bandwidth (3) it isn't text and is hard to enlarge for accessibility [yes, I know FF3 does a great job at this, but not everyone uses FF3] (4) it will not degrade well and will require separate text menus elsewhere (5) Some browsers with flash support via plugin do not support transparency and will leave white blocking the rest of the site below where the 'expanding' menu normally expands to, killing the usability of your site (6) I'm sure there's more, tell me if the previous five weren't enough.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler