streaming live picture in picture

New be here.
    Can streaming live picture in picture be done with both pictures live?

Can it be Done?

Simple yes, if you are generating both LIVE feeds through a single source, ie. a live switch, effect board...where your live feeds, pic-in-pic activated, and going to your streamming protocol as a single signal!

Surely there are other on-board computer solutions, but I prefer live through a grafic effects switcher, many lower cost models allow chroma, PinP, key over, and live switch transitions. Of those available, look for built in, TBC, or advanced color control.... without this, cameras will not match-up shots, and look for audio source with two or more imputs, and minimal modular amplification - video without audio is in essence Silent Films, and we know what happened to those! Once upon a time, Toaster a systems based Graphic Effects Switcher, allowed live feed through, and added title and such, to be applied to live feed, most of the software editors seem to require RENDER before export, this would seem, at least in common thinking, that you would not be able to continue a live stream to your server in actuallity!

I could be poorly informed here, I am an old-time producer, I still think
    A-B roll editing and hard set design are the standards, inspite of the fact that I have three seperate versions of editing software on my computer!

You might want to wait for some other imput, before marching off...

CLPTV

flagtowntv.com

Now that I know it can be done let me go a bit farther.

Now that I know it can be done let me go a bit farther.
    The live streaming feed would not always be from the same place or the same person doing the setup. So I need to keep it as simple as possible. Let me explain.

We have a company that sells hardware to auctions for live stock, bulls, cows so on.
    The hardware weights live stock. Then we enter the amount of “head” on the scale.
    It then sends out to “TVs” in the ring with (only text) of total weight, number of head and average weight of each live stock. No sound. Very simple info going out to the monitors.

The auctioneers started doing live streaming so “off site” bidders can see the live stock and bid on it.

Now we’re at the picture in picture.
    The auctioneers want to add our feed in the small picture on their stream that is showing the live stock in the arena.

Is there a simple way to do this?
    We will buy what hardware that needs to added. But the setup is going to be done by different streaming companies at each auction.
    Little back ground on me.
    I’m Microsoft certified in servers, networking and desktops.
    Network Administrator and computer consultant.

Thanks so much for the help,
    Dennis

What is your current set up to get your stream out there? What is theirs? Where do you plan on combining them? Are you talking baseband video (CVBS, SDI, etc) at this point or are they already/still data streams here? What platforms are available? After this point, how do you plan on pushing the 'merged' stream to viewers?
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Live of my Life

Greetings dennis, Ok simple approach, with a budget of course, Looking for Focus Enhancement, these folks have a little unit that will do 99 percent of your needs, check out the MX-4 switcher unit, small, light and easy to operate. On your issue with weights and counts and changing stats, this can be done as a crawl or scroll, much like Airports, cable channel TV guide, etc.. They maintain a constant stream, with text overlays..usually scroll, or rolling play from top to bottom or vice-versa, simply pause scroll to change up list data. Problem is the distribution to intra-net system, most control systems generate avi, or dv, mpeg-1 etc. Best play and distribution come as Flash or FLV files, this takes real-time conversion.

One solution is a product called Tri-caster, slightly pricey, but it functions with all the ability of a full Production truck, all the bells and whistles, plus the manufacturer claims it will stream straight to the web, see it to believ it, it's on the web as tri-caster video, at 7,500 to 10,000 depending on model it may serve well for your needs. I am sure there are software solutions out there, but I, abit of a horse trader myself, and software anit Horses, got me beat as to what or where.

Hope this helps!
    Cowboy Bob

CLPTV

You guys are the best!!

You guys are the best!!
    Thanks for the info. It will take me a few days to research and to find out what type of streaming software most of the auctioneers are using. Plus I’m going to build a Windows 2003 server this weekend to do some testing of streaming software.
    I’m sure I’ll have more questions later….

Thanks again,
    Dennis

Quote: dstrim
    View Post
    You guys are the best!!
    Thanks for the info. It will take me a few days to research and to find out what type of streaming software most of the auctioneers are using. Plus I’m going to build a Windows 2003 server this weekend to do some testing of streaming software.
    I’m sure I’ll have more questions later….

Thanks again,
    Dennis
    Dennis: Note, we are not just talking about software but the entire system: hardware, software, transmission methods and distances, etc. This is not a project that for all cases can be solved by something as simple as "run [program] on a server with feeds from [a] and [b] automagically merging them with a PIP"*

*note: there are software solutions that will do this (VLC's VLM can definitely do this), but this may not be the best way, depending on the aforementioned system information.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)

Have you found a solution yet?
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)