Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Forum Rules

Blog Entries

New Forum Rules

In response to the complaints and suggestions about forum spam here at mediacollege, I'd like to suggest some new rules. Some are already implemented but it's all up for discussion. You guys know the forum better than I do right now so let me know what you think...

[1] All new registrations must be approved by a moderator.

This seems like a sensible measure right now, although I suspect it will only weed out the spammers who are dumb enough to give themselves away when they register. Perhaps new users could be asked a question like "What is your area of interest?" Do you think this would help weed out the baddies without hurting the goodies?

[2] New users are fully moderated, meaning that their messages must wait to be approved by a moderator before appearing in the forum. New users may not post hyperlinks or have a signature.

When a user reaches 10 posts, they are promoted to the status of "Approved User". From then on they can post and use sig links as normal.

I've already set this up, so apologies to those of you who are still under the 10-post count.

[3] Signature links must be either:
    (a) Completely non-commercial in nature, e.g. Personal blog, Facebook page, etc., or
    (b) Relevant to media production in some way, e.g. Video production company.

Only approved users may have signature links.

Any comments or other ideas?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    Note to moderators... Messages that are awaiting moderation will appear in the forum as normal for you, except they will be accompanied by the small icon with a red x. Threads that include moderated messages have the same icon. Only moderators can see these messages until you approve them.

Hope that makes some sense.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Good rules, Dave.

I expect these will cause a reduction in the nonsense that your site has been receiving. Creates more work, of course, but for a site this valuable, it's worth it.

You might also consider (gasp!) charging some kind of fee. I'd pay it.

Best,
    Doc

Blog Entries
    Bravo Dave!
    I realize that you have other things going on but as time has passed - this little puppy, you and Wavelength have created is growing up with other needs.

I think you're taking the correct pro-active steps. I cannot speak so much on it since I know squat about being a web-master... although it's an endeavor I must eventually must/need to take on.

All I can really say is thanks for all the effort that you and your team puts in because what we see from this side of the screen only skims the surface of the problems.

Go get 'em!
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    I'm up for all of that.

If you need any help with moderation just say the word :-)

Happy to help any time!

Me want rules to advertise my finest replica watches.. If I can't self-advertise my finest replica watches ( "wrist watches" that is! ) then what GUUT is this web site...
    true..
    There should be AdWords like structure that appears everywhere on this site running on a credit base or on a similar professional basis. The more professional the solution we do, the higher impact we will get (people, there's profit in here...)

Really, where is adSense here in Media College?? Or another advertisement-network? A clean use of advertisement wouldn't hurt the site's perspective look. It might even have a push-forward effect as the website would start looking a bit more professional - though I am not saying it is not looking professional, it may bring more of it.

Besides, give in the whole domain to me, or even better, to some US or Aussie pro's, then see what brilliant things, transformations and other goodies they might bring to the web site. Think of what ENVATO has achieved.. they are also doing this as brothers *oh God, how great, I don't have any!

Let "us" help people marketing their own goods and services "PROVIDED THAT they all abide your what-so-ever-new-Rules-and-Regulations" then their advertisements may appear on this site, even according to the content.. a catchy rotating banner, who knows.. i can talk "more" about it, should a discussion be fired..

Moreover, the logic dictates that MediaCollege should not start right ahead with the Forum, but with a magazine style regularly updated content - THEN - the famous forum.. are you up to it?

I'd say think about it!

OK..
    I want to advertise my finest replica watches.. here in this website..

MediaCollege with its own system to rotate banners from its community members internally..

I liked the idea.. you might have some control panel to give away or take back credits, scores, MC bills, you name it..

I need to advertise my replica watches, shame if I can't do it

hey James, are you interested in my wrist watches? I discount on ya and You will buy us, the best online internet watches
    hopefully the King Richard was not one of my ancestors, otherwise I'd go crazy reading broken and messed-up language bits here and there..

Do my advertisement thing, you'll have the gratitude of millions in time -
    best regards;

p.s. what was I saying:

Jaimes.. I will sell you .. you are my man.. my finest wrist watches!

Wrist Watches JAMIES.. wrist watches..
    beware - don't to your leg

Chears

p.s. don't stay in Engrish exposure for too long

best regards again..
    Last edited by kunter; 27th Nov 2009 at 14:32.
    - kunter ilalan web designer
    follow him on twitter and on MediaCollege

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll post a better response ASAP but in the meantime I thought I'd give a quick update.

I'm going away until the end of next week but I'll try to keep in touch as I travel. When I get back I've got a video job that is likely to take a couple of weeks (it's a goody - "Here's a box of tapes with random footage and we just need you to put it together into a great video"). When that's done my next task is to upgrade the forum to the latest vBulletin suite (it's out of beta now). I'm quite excited about that - it will give the forum a bit of a freshen-up and add some new features like easily adding Youtube videos etc.

My New Years Resolution is to manage my time better and focus on MediaCollege.com. In the past I've let other things get in the way but no more. This site is my pride and joy and I'm pumped about getting back into it in 2010.

Thanks everyone for sticking with it.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    Good to hear Dave ;-)

And I'm glad to report that we have no unchecked commercial activities plaguing this website. Our campaign has been successful.

( ...so that I could be the only replica watch dealer on this market, I need several Indian-Asian friends to help me with their english, then we are all set! )
    - kunter ilalan web designer
    follow him on twitter and on MediaCollege

Well, In the terms of conditions there was that users are allowed to place links as signatures but there is no option for the signatures editing in the comntrol panel, so i am just putting my link in the boody of the message and if you have any way to make it in the signature then it will be helpful for me, Thanks for sharing this post. This is a very helpful and informative material. Good post and keep it up. Websites are always helpful in one way or the other, that’s cool stuff, anyways, (link removed by Chris.. only personal or media related links are allowed!) a good way to get started to renovate your dreams into the world of reality.
    Thanks
    Micheal,
    Last edited by ChrisHarding; 4th Jan 2010 at 12:50. Reason: Illegal Link

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast