Canon XM1 - XLR box?

Sorry folks but I am a complete newbie at this kind of thing, so if my questions donít make any sense I apologise beforehand.

I work for a community organisation and weíve recently done some video work. We have two cameras at Sony HVR-A1E, which we bought recently; we were also given a Canon XM1, which I understand it much older.

Someone said that to be able to use the Canon we would need an XLR box, which costs a couple of hundred pounds. Previous to that someone said that we just needed some kind of adapter.

I donít want to have to spend money on items we donít need so would really appreciate some advice. My understanding is this is something to do with stereo sound?????

But as I explained earlier I donít really have a clue, all help much appreciated.

First of all, you don't "need" it to use the camera.

What you are referring to is an adapter which will allow you to use two stereo XLR inputs for much better sound capturing.

BeachTek Dual XLR Adapter DXA4P is excellent for the Canon GL-1 (XM1).

Do you use the removable XLR connection now on the Sony HVR-A1E?

Sorry for late reply

Hi MetaBol sorry for late response... it all got a bit too much for me. I would just love to be master of one for a change instead of a jack...

On the Sony it has like shoe thing on the top and the mike fits into that, which i only noticed tonight at the workshop session.

We ended up going for the Lynx XLR (f) to 3.5mm stereo jack Minidisc cable 1m, but there is a cut out round the input on the camera and the jack doesn't fit snugly in it and i'm a bit worried this might affect the sound

Test that plug. And subject it to movements and small jerks. See if you can get a decent audio response. IF not replace it. As a rule of thumb, I will opt to get a new one that fits if the same scenario happens to me.

The A1 is more straightforward with the audio module attached with 2 XLR audio inputs.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

is there another jack

Hi there nagar...

I think you are probably right because we have three mics a Sure SM57 - Sennheiser ME66 - Sony F-112, the Sony goes on the boom (i think) and we couldnt get it to work with the Sennheiser so we had to use the Sure.

It's a bit of a gutter the lead not working, we paid just short of £20 for it with the postage. I was wondering if there was an adapter we could jack it into...

Hmmm... unless there's something wrong with the Sennheiser mic or the cable, it will certainly work with the A1s. Phantom power issue?

The legendary Shure SM57 is a dynamic mic, not exactly the kind of mic you use for video shoot (although I really like it for street IVs where its pick-up patterns help when I have not another proper mic).

Metabol did give a good suggestion about the beachtek, but if you don't use the Canon as the principle camera (since there're 2 A1s), then you may take it as a good advice and apply it when you are prepared to pay for using it.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore