Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A few questions- Studio Equipment

I would be very thankful if you can answer some of my questions. I have a few questions one being what is the difference between a Digital Multi Track Recorder and a Analog/Digital Studio Mixer? And one other question is would it be worth it for me if i was to buy a Digital Muliti Track Recorder because i have only got Studio Monitors a USB Studio Microphone And Heaphones? And my last question is would a standard Digital Multi Track Recorder or Studio Mixer be able to sync or be used as part of my recording software Acid Pro 6 or Cubase 4?

a Digital Multi Track Recorder record each input on a hard drive for editing volumes etc later. An Analog/Digital Studio Mixer mixes all of the different input togeth to out put normally 1 or 2 channels (Mono and Stereo) but some can output many more (e.g. for surround sound). if you record this then you wont be able change volume levels or anything to be honest other than maybe cutting parts out.

you should be able to sync the audio in any nle with enough practice.

Thanks

Hey Safe For That Man. Kool

if i was using a mixer would it be possible to change the levels after the vocals etc has been recorded or can it only change live sound E.g i record vocals on to pc software and then change levels and Eq by using the mixer or will that not work??

Are you recording everything at once or just one or two pieces at a time?
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

yeah one or two peices at a time

Then just a mixer is fine, as long as you don't overmodulate or clip, you can play with the levels in post. You will want to have your levels as high as possible without distortion to maximize sampling quality. If you have two pieces at once, you will want to record them at the same level, panned off to the sides so that you record two separate tracks, not a mix down.

Do note that it may be much easier to just mic everyone separately and use a multitrack as you will still need a high quality capture device for your pc to get high quality recordings from a mixer, a digital mulitrack recorder has high quality ADCs built in and most can act as a mixer if you don't want to use it as a standalone recorder.
    Last edited by tonsofpcs; 12th Oct 2008 at 18:45.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

oh right. some people have said to me that well for example once i have recorded my vocal and that onto my pc software that i can not then use the mixer to change the levels of the recorded peice , that the mixer can only be used with live recording sound is this true?

Quote: BennerzN9
    View Post
    if i was using a mixer would it be possible to change the levels after the vocals etc has been recorded or can it only change live sound E.g i record vocals on to pc software and then change levels and Eq by using the mixer or will that not work??
    it wont be easy to adjust levels after i has been recorded as it will all be on on or two channels. you'd only be able to do it if your hearing only the sound that you want to adjust and nothing else. when using a mixer its basically "this is what you've got". with a multitrack it is "this is why you can put to gether".

Quote: BennerzN9
    View Post
    oh right. some people have said to me that well for example once i have recorded my vocal and that onto my pc software that i can not then use the mixer to change the levels of the recorded peice , that the mixer can only be used with live recording sound is this true?
    well it depends how you look at it. lets say you've got two singers singing together. they are performing live in a way. you can still mix it but you will be limited in how you can mix it later on.

you don't have to use them just for live audio in other words. it's just best not to

ahh seen seen thanks for that i am starting to really understand now. and most mixers have phantom power dont they ? i must sound like a doughnout i swear o one other main main thing where does a standard mixer plug into what is its main power source a normal mixer not usb or firewire??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast