Real Beginner Questions

Hi,

I recently decided it might be nice to add video clips to my website as it is becoming more and more popular to show motion of "how things work."

I work primarily with Dreamweaver and occasionally Flash. I have a digital camera that creates .mov files.

My questions:

1) I have .mov files yet I was told that this is not the best thing to load because some users may not have the application to open/run them. What should I convert to - that most people will be able to open? I heard streaming videos don't use an applications, but rather the computers memory as a buffer for storing the data as it plays???

2) Is there free shareware for converting to a recommended file structure?

3) So what exactly is the trend? What are most sites using that loads fast and has relatively good resolution?

4) Being a beginner to vid clips... are there any good tutorials to show how to add one in your html program?

Thanks,
    Luna13

Blog Entries
    Sorry, this will be a very fast reply because I'm in a hurry.... Flash video. That's where it's at
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks.

So what is a good conversion tool? Does Flash 8 have that capability?

Blog Entries
    I think so but I can't quite remember exactly which formats & codecs Flash 8 supported. A more recent converter would be better. I still use Flix Pro for FLV files although I may start using Adobe Media Converter. Sorenson Squeeze has always been a good option. In the free market there's SUPER(C).

Flash has recently begun supporting H.264, which can be made with a whole bunch of encoders out there. If you don't mind losing a few people who haven't yet got a recent version of Flash, this is a very good option. It's probably more future-proof than FLV and it's better quality.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com