Thread: Low $$ DV to PC

Low $$ DV to PC

Currently, I rent cameras (Canon-XL2) when I do a video gig. I can't always get the video off the tapes before I have to return the cameras. What is the least expensive way to do this conversion without losing quality?

It does not appear that there is a DV drive available for the PC (there was once upon a time, but it was $1K). Do cheap cameras have much effect on playback?

Hi Graywolf

A cheap camcorder is the easiest way to make a "DV Deck" and as long as the heads are in reasonable shape there is no quality loss as you are transferring digital data. A DV Deck is great but they usually have facilities for both MiniDV and DVCAM which makes them expensive!!!
    Look around for the JVC VCR that came out a few years ago..it has an SVHS deck on one side and MiniDV on the other and was designed to transfer SVHS to MiniDV ...However just using the MiniDV deck and the firewire makes it a great DV Deck!!

Chris

Hi GRAYWOLF,

I don't have problems when I digitize footages shot on a Sony HVR-V1P using my smaller consumer Sonys. And that is as long as I am shooting on SD. I say this because I don't know if Canon XL2 supports DVCAM recordig, which will not playback on non-DVCAM models.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Hi Nagar
    The XL2 is MiniDV only so the deck or camcorder needs to be MiniDV not DVCAM Probably a cheaper domestic Canon will work fine as a deck. If one can find a camera on eBay that might have an optical problem then you can grab a nice "deck" for almost nothing. Just bear in mind however that an old camcorder probably has transport and head issues coming along so getting a fairly recent domestic one is probably a better option than buying an old more professional camcorder if you are just using it for transfer.

Chris

Quote: GRAYWOLF
    View Post
    Currently, I rent cameras (Canon-XL2) when I do a video gig. I can't always get the video off the tapes before I have to return the cameras. What is the least expensive way to do this conversion without losing quality?

It does not appear that there is a DV drive available for the PC (there was once upon a time, but it was $1K). Do cheap cameras have much effect on playback?

i always rent cameras too ,but i never met this problem.