IRE Levels in AVI Files

Is there a way to determine whether or not any element (part of, section of) of a frame of video in an AVI file is at or above IRE 100? I expect that there is some criteria for the digital value of the pixels that could be used to evaluate the IRE value, but don't know enough to make the connection. I'm sort of looking for the digital equivalent of the analog waveform monitor. Anyone know about this? Much appreciated if you can get me started in the right direction.

Blog Entries
    You can get software waveform monitors. Adobe Premiere comes with a built-in waveform monitor - that's what I use. I don't know much about other packages though sorry.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Dave,
    Thanks for the reply. Actually, that's still a visual analog solution - I have Premiere, too. You look at the waveform monitor with the eyes and make an evaluation. What I'm wondering about is if software were used to examine the frame for IRE greater than, say, 100, 80, or any other user determined value, what test criteria would be used by the software in the digital domain to determine the IRE level for all points in the frame?

Blog Entries
    I think I see what you're saying. I don't think I can help though. I know some editing packages have zebra stripes which you can set to a certain IRE level - is that the sort of thing you mean or are you looking for a more numerical display?

As for how the software works in analysing the frame, I have no idea really.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Dave,
    If we knew by what criteria the editing software turned on the stripes, that'd be the answer I'm looking for. Maybe someone out there knows.