View Poll Results: Do you think it is good value for money at this time?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

0 0%
  • no

0 0%
  • can't answer, have not tried it.

3 100.00%

Any experience with Video instant messenging?

Has any one heard of or reviewed a product that was launched early this year? It claims to be the first email client with fully integrated streaming media. It also has video instant messenger (www.hellomyworld.com) which is my interest as I have family in 2 US states as well and the Dominica, England and Nigeria. Any suggestions or alternatives is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    CopperMan.

Blog Entries
    I had a bit of a look and it's an interesting product. I suppose it's not too much money to give it a try. I'd be a bit skeptical about how many people are interested in video email, therefore I'd be a bit worried about the company's long-term viability. But I do think it would be worth a try if you have a good use for video email. If you do try it can you let us know how it goes?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Dave, Thanks for your comments about video email

As you said in your reponse, it is inexpensive with accounts starting as low as $9.95 per month. The company is offering a 1month free trial. So I took them up on the offer. Bought a webcam and set it up. Ask my sister in Dallas to do the same.
    Overall it has our 100% approval. We were able to send videoemails. In addititon, -and this is what sold me on it, we have 24/7 live video instant messenger. It has done wonders for my phone bill. I still love to meet up with my family in person but now and I can see, speak with them and share event with them (live or recorded).
    The trial pack came with LIVE webcast too, I was able to use it to do a presentation to 3 people simultaneously.........enough said.

Our verdict: These are very useful communication tools. I don't agree with you that streaming media is not going to take off. I belive it has done so for businesses. As it is now more affordable and available to everyone and anyone anywhere in the world, ordinary folks will soon take it up in large numbers. I see a lot of text being replace by videos even on sites like this one for those bold souls who can put their faces behind their words.

A penny for your thoughts?
    Copperman.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the update Copperman. Sounds like it's working a treat.

Just to clarify, I didn't say this type of media wouldn't take off, I said I was skeptical (and I still am). I think there's definitely a certain market for it but I don't yet see it being as popular as some companies make out. Just because I'm skeptical doesn't mean I don't think it can happen - it just means I would be careful about sinking any money into it. In your case I think this product is so cheap that it doesn't really matter though - you won't lose anything if the company does go under.

I remember video conferencing with random people about six years ago, at a time when we had to use a SVHS video camera linked through a capture card to make it work. At the time everyone was calling this medium the Next Big Thing and lots of money was invested in it. It turned out that the market was much smaller and mainly limited to businesses. The same thing happened to videophones - they were invented, publicised and built up to be huge, then died.

We'll see how the next few years go. It could be that the overall Internet market is now so big that even if a very small part of the market wants video communications it will be enough to keep it viable. I hope so because it's a lot of fun.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com