Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sound card noise floor trouble

Hi again. I have inputted (a real word?) my Mackie mixer into my laptop soundcard for recording into Audition 1.5. I am getting much noise, however, even when the mic is not on. The noise is at all frequencies, but the lower the freq, the hotter the noise. It's above -36dB below 1k. I've already tried lowering the input volume of my card. What causes this, & what can I do to get rid of it? My soundcard is a Conexant AMC.

Hi. You're the one with the compressor questions, right? OK. I've dealt with Conexant amc COMPONANTS (chipsets), but I wasn't aware if they now manufactured an actual modem card of thier own. I'll tell ya one thing I know about this comp.; they have always had driver problems. Are you sure Conexant made the card? or is it another manufacturer using Conexant chips? This could be important because different mans. add thier own driver versions. Different options, bit rates, etc. Check this out first.

Second, try a different mixer, or a direct input to the sound card from the mic.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

Yes, I'm the compression man. Well, it could be the mixer, but I'm thinking that I would like the run the mic through the mixer to take advantage of the preamp. I've just plugged the mic into the card direct, and I don't seem to get the same wicked noise. So it is the mixer. However, it does not sound as good because of the fact that I have to boost the volume up so high from the mic to get a good volume on Audition. Then, of course, that raises the noise floor.

Can you put a short clip of room noise (mic attached and leveled up), and a short clip with everything connected except the mic, and another clip with just the cable going into the PC attached (but nothing on the far end) so we can see exactly what is happening?
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Okay, sure. Here you go. "Cable in card no nothing" is exactly what it says. I boosted the amplitutde of this by +16dB. "mic in card" is the mic into the card directly. The level is very, very low, so I boosted the amplitude of this by +16dB as well. "mic in mixer in card" is the mic plugged into the Mackie (level set at unity), and the Mackie plugged into my card. I have not boosted the amplitude of this. "mixer in card" is the Mackie into the card, with no levels on the console. Obviously it is the Mackie that is creating the noise. So if there are any suggestions how to amend this, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ya know, it sounds like a really bad connection from the Mackie, like an almost direct short to ground. But the "motorboating" effect points to the Mackie itself, like a bad electrolytic capacitor somewhere, maybe in the power supply. I think I would opt for a good quality pre designed specifically for input to a sound card and either abandon the Mackie or get it checked out and use it for something else.

I just listened to the clips again and it occurs to me to ask, what output on the Mackie are you using?
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

Good question. I was using the mono main out for those clips. I had also tried an aux send, with the same results.

What input on the card are you using for each?
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Mic input is the only one provided. The input is built into the laptop; it is not an actual card in a slot like on a PC.

Quote: penniesfromheaven
    View Post
    Hi. You're the one with the compressor questions, right? OK. I've dealt with Conexant amc COMPONANTS (chipsets), but I wasn't aware if they now manufactured an actual modem card of thier own. I'll tell ya one thing I know about this comp.; they have always had driver problems. Are you sure Conexant made the card? or is it another manufacturer using Conexant chips? This could be important because different mans. add thier own driver versions. Different options, bit rates, etc. Check this out first.

Second, try a different mixer, or a direct input to the sound card from the mic.
    Couldent he just lower the main output of the mixer? Normaly, when I get a lot of hiss it is because my main output is too high. I Could be wrong, any thoughts?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast