need video software recommendations

I've never used any video editing software yet, but I'm quite sure I'll need software more sophisticated than windows XP movie maker for this...

I want to record a multi-camera video of a band playing a 3 minute song.

I have 2 digital cameras, each capable of recording a 3 minute MPG.

Is there inexpensive PC software that will allow me to load in multiple MPGs, manually sync them up, and dynamically choose scenes from each MPG that will go into the output (the way a pro director switches between multiple camera shots)?
    Last edited by redss; 27th Feb 2005 at 14:00. Reason: forgot to check 'instant email notification'

Blog Entries
    Yeah, Windows Movie Maker won't cut it. The following page has a good rundown of some cheap software:
    http://desktopvideo.about.com/od/sof...l/bl_lowsw.htm

I tend to think that ULead Video Studio is about the best value around for about $US100. It's not as good as Adobe Premier but it's a lot cheaper and it's still a professional-level package.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    Forgot to add...

MPG is not a good editing format. Try to use DV, AVI or MotionJPG. DV is the easiest these days.

The thing you are looking for in editing software is multiple video tracks. This is standard with any decent software - if a package doesn't have multiple tracks then forget it.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

richard

mr

I,m glad I found your site ,just curious though the dcr-vx2100 you say is a semi professional cam. Personally I,d hoped it as professional as the editing software and editing skills of the user.?.Oh and the fun involved as well.Personally I jumped into buying a dcr-vx2100 and Adobe premiere pro editing suite and found it a choice programme,the only trouble i,ve had though is the internet dumping viruses on me and making it a (bugger) excuse the pun to export to dvd.I am at present removing my pc from the net from advice of a film maker.Have you had any trouble yourself in this area

Blog Entries
    Sorry about the delayed reply.

Everything is relative. I think of professional cameras as being the sort of cameras a television channel would use. The vx2100 is still a very fine camera and perfectly adequate for most video work, in fact many TV channels do use this sort of camera in certain situations. You could call it a professional camera if you like, I don't think anyone would give you a hard time for that. It's just not quite in the same league as Sony's fully professional range.

I think the term semi-professional just helps to describe that range of cameras which are beyond consumer level, but not at the top level.

In the past we used to disconnect any editing PC from the Internet but now we leave them all connected. It's a bit of a trade-off. There's certainly more danger being connected, plus you have to run a firewall and antivirus software which can sometimes get in the way. On the other hand it makes it a lot easier to share files, download plugins, etc. As long as you've got plenty of grunt in your computer and you're careful I think it's okay to be connected.

I also noticed that the latest version of Premiere required activation over the Internet before I could start using it -- a sign of things to come perhaps.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com