Thread: Eng

Eng

Hello-

I am looking to speak and learn from ENG news cameramen. I am interested in the business.

Regards,

Dan

Blog Entries
    Well, it's been a long time since I was in that game but it was my job for a while. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Eng

Dave-

Thanks so much for responding and offering to help me out. what do stations look for when hiring news cameramen?

I have experience with the smaller prosumer cameras, but not with the bigger shoulder mounted cameras that I see news guys use.

I really appreciate your thoughts.

Regards,

Dani

Blog Entries
    In my experience...

It does help to know your way around professional cameras but it's not absolutely critical. It's more important to show your camera skills in terms of finding the good shots, being consistent, etc.

Do you have a showreel? If not, make one. You need to demonstrate not only your ability with a camera but your initiative and this is a good way to do that. If/when you have a showreel, post it to Yutube or somewhere we can see it, then ask us for our opinions. Your showreel is very important and it makes sense to get friendly feedback first.

I know lots of people who have ended up with jobs by starting out volunteering. Approach local stations, tell them you're after work experience and ask if they need someone to lug equipment. Make it clear that you want to learn the trade (don't pretend you already know everything). Hopefully you can find someone sympathetic.

Personally I wouldn't go for the big stations first. I'd start with a small station where you can learn a few skills and make a few mistakes without wrecking your chances at the big time.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com